A unique "not so clip-less" moment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

This Time Next Year

Clip-less moments happen, I get that, but this was really something special...

I recently bought a Boardman hybrid which came with toe clips and straps. Due to the nature of my commute (short with relatively high number of junctions), these were removed straight away leaving me with just the bare standard pedals. I resisted the urge to go fully clip-less, although judging by the way the bug is biting me, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time.

So cycling home from work, standard pedals, work shoes, smart trousers and shirt... pull up out side my house, get bike safely over to the pavement. Pleased with myself for not using the car for the second time this week and get off the bike. Simple right?

Well... all was going well until I went to swing my leg over the bike, end of my trouser leg gets caught in the nose of the saddle, and in slow motion I experience a taste of the clip-less moment without any of the clip-less benefits. Fortunately no one was around to revel in my embarrassment, but I'll bet there was at least one person sniggering behind the net curtains.

Still, at least I got my first fall out of the way with relatively little harm, just a sore hand and scuff on the end of the handlebar.

Anybody else managed to do anything this stupid?

Pauluk

A few years ago I was out cycling with my then teenage daughter and we decided to descend a large flight of concrete steps. I lost my nerve near the bottom (we were going quite fast, too fast for me) so I applied the brakes. The bike stopped ok but I didn't. I ended up in a diving position but with no swimming pool. Nearly broke both my wrists. I didn't give a rats arse who was looking, it really hurt.

Two years ago when I first went clipless, the first time I used them I cycled to work on the weekend to met some colleagues to go out on a 40-mile training ride (pre for C2C) and nearly had my first clipless when I stopped in the car-park.
When we wer leaving the site I was at the group of 7 riders and saw that the blocker-ramp (30-ton stopping power!) wasn't lovered so I scooted onto the kerb.
I then saw that the ramp had lowered as the road sensor had been activated, so I scooted back off the kerb not realising that I had passed the sensor.......yes, up cam the ramp and I had nowhere to go to slammed the anchors on and first time ever did a wheelie on my front wheel, hung in mid-air for a second or two then fell sideways onto a grip-coated path so got road rash when stationary!
So...that was my firs not-so-clipless moment

fossala

Guru
I over did a cycle and was so tiered couldn't get off my pedals (normal not clipless) and fell over. It was at traffic lights around 4pm, there was a lot of people. I choose not to turn around and just keep facing forward.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A while back i came to a mini roundabout and the car was approaching from the right who had right of way so i slowed down enough so that the car could go past without having to unclip.Hold on the car seems to be taking its time but i still have plenty of space , slow down a bit more , car slows to a stop ..................

Oh Sugar to late Splat !!!!!!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Came out of the pub last year and swung my leg over the saddle. Not sure what happened, but I ended up on the ground on the other side of the bike without ever having made contact with the saddle. I wouldn't mind but I'd only been drinking coke. :wacko:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I nipped a loose thread from a glove in the top of the brake/gear lever. Going fast downhill took my hand off the hood to indicate turning left and had the mother of all speed wobbles ,luckilly the thread pulled out and I stayed on the bike somehow.^_^

I've misjudged swinging my leg over the saddle before and just kneed the back of the saddle. Bike went about 15ft upright before toppling over riderless.

Worst was remembering to unclip when approaching a roundabout but resting foot on the pedal. Coming to a stop and hearing the dreaded 'snap' as my foot clipped in again. lesson learned. When unclipped rest heel on pedal.

Dave7

Legendary Member
20 years ago but I still laugh ....wearing toe clips and turning into our drive at speed the front tyre touched-then locked on the toe clip....bike stopped dead-I shot over the bars, over the fence and into the garden. Problem was my feet were still in the clips. So there I was, in a heap hanging into the garden with my feet locked into the pedals/bike which was still on the other side of the fence.
So.......what was the first thing I did (once I got up) ? Like any good cyclist I checked to see if anyone was watching:blush:

OP
OP
This Time Next Year

This Time Next Year

Lol. I've had the leg/seat of trousers catch the nose of the saddle and had to shuffle free but its never caused me to fall. I've done the clipless fall a few times :blush:

I almost saved myself with a shuffle but I think the momentum of my heavy backpack was enough to prevent me finding any sort of balance

mangid

Guru
Clip-less moments happen, I get that, but this was really something special...

I recently bought a Boardman hybrid which came with toe clips and straps. Due to the nature of my commute (short with relatively high number of junctions), these were removed straight away leaving me with just the bare standard pedals. I resisted the urge to go fully clip-less, although judging by the way the bug is biting me, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time.

So cycling home from work, standard pedals, work shoes, smart trousers and shirt... pull up out side my house, get bike safely over to the pavement. Pleased with myself for not using the car for the second time this week and get off the bike. Simple right?

Well... all was going well until I went to swing my leg over the bike, end of my trouser leg gets caught in the nose of the saddle, and in slow motion I experience a taste of the clip-less moment without any of the clip-less benefits. Fortunately no one was around to revel in my embarrassment, but I'll bet there was at least one person sniggering behind the net curtains.

Still, at least I got my first fall out of the way with relatively little harm, just a sore hand and scuff on the end of the handlebar.

Anybody else managed to do anything this stupid?

For some reason, not sure why, I took to dismounting by swinging my left leg over the bars, works fine on the dropped bikes, makes me look silly sometimes when I do it on hybrid ...

Top Bottom