A very good freegle find indeed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris-H

Über Member
Peugeot Competition 500 old mans road bike needing lots of attention the ad read. I promptly replied and was the successful recipient. I was planning on upgrading to a modern spec when I got the bike but when I picked it up it had been done, Sora sti shifters, Mavic rims, Spesh seat, converted to ahead, and the paintwork looked good too.
I spent 4 hours stripping, cleaning and polishing and not quite finished but it looks amazing. I have replaced the 40cm original bars with some Bontrager 44's in black as the others were too narrow, the spesh front tyre was bald so luckily I had a Bontrager which matched the rear in my shed, bunged a pair of new tubes on too. Am off to Decathlon today for pedals, cables, bar tape and chain then hopefully get out on a ride this afternoon.
Pics to follow...........

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
watch for the wind Chris this afternoon , sounds a very very good find

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
watch for the wind Chris this afternoon , sounds a very very good find
Keeping a close eye on it mate, I wont be able to get out until late afternoon as meeting ex wife at midday in Thurrock to drop my Daughter off then a shopping trip to Decathlon, knowing my luck it wont be suitable riding weather when i'm done, anyway plenty of time to get out later in the week. It really was an extremely good find, I didn't realise bikes that old had internal cable routing until I picked this up. It has Shimano rsx groupset including hubs, I've not heard of it before.......any good?

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Ha ha nice one mate ^_^
It'll be staying on for the winter at least just to see how I get on with the drops and my back now:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Well i'm pleased to report the bike is finished, other than I need a replacement stem but it is rideable, went for a very short blast and already I love it. Its too dark to get some pics tonight but will get some up tomorrow.

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
Too dark...

Pah does your camera not have a flash. Bring it in the house too. This is a poor show ! :tongue:
Only use my phone and its not that great in anything but broad daylight :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's a cracker.

Silver stem or if you can a real quill stem - check out Planet X bikes for loads of stems on the cheap. The seat pin is lovely - campag aero I think ?

Thanks for these. Need to see the finished thing !

OP
OP
Chris-H

Chris-H

Über Member
That's a cracker.

Silver stem or if you can a real quill stem - check out Planet X bikes for loads of stems on the cheap. The seat pin is lovely - campag aero I think ?

Thanks for these. Need to see the finished thing ![/quoteI
the seat pin isn't campag, I thought it was to start with, I was going to use a quill stem but I couldn't find an oversize one as I find standard silver bars too narrow, just been out to the shed and took a few pics so bear with me i'll get em up this eve :thumbsup:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The seat pin, if not Campag then could be a number of French ones or Miche (Italian). It's not a Shimano 600 or Dura Ace, but they are very desirable either way... Nice find..

Top Bottom