A very sobering and inspiring experience...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On Friday I was part of a senior management team holding a workshop based around communication.
We were very lucky to have along to give a talk, a 92 yr old WWII vet who was a rear gunner on Lancaster bombers and was awarded the DFC in 1943 when he took out three German Stukka (sp?) fighters during a sortie/dogfight.

His talk and q&a was fascinating, at times very inspiring, and at others, very deep and poignant.

He flew 60 missions in two sets of 30 at a time when the average life of a crewman was 6 missions!

The stuff he talked about was not what you would see in the movies and rarely documented as it was not seen as the correct way of doing things.

One which sticks with me was on one mission, they had bombed their target in Germany and had then been hit by German fighter fire which had killed their engineer and bomb aimer.
He had taken out the fighter but they found the ice that had built up at 25 thousand feet and had frozen the controls so they couldn't turn or alter altitude.

The only way they could turn was by backing off one engine and thrusting the other to put the bomber in a flat turn which took over 5-miles!
They flew back over England, used the same method to turn back in over the West coast.
They dumped most of the remaining fuel over the sea then baled out leaving the bomber to fly back toward Europe until it ran out of fuel hopefully over the North Sea.
They then had to freefall to about 11000 feet then deploy the chutes as they didn't have oxygen , so had to try and hold their breath for the time it took to freefall!
All three made it safely back.

Bloody amazing stuff!

gbb

Legendary Member
It does make you realise how lucky we are, never had to face the hardships and fears these guys had to. I worked with a guy who'd also been a rear gunner in a Lancaster. He would never elaborate on his experiences, but he was a bitter, terse man of few words...and an alcoholic. I used to wonder if his experiences had turned him into what he was. He too had flown many missions, many above what the life expectancy was of them.
Undying respect to them, even though they're from a generation I never really mixed with.

asterix

Comrade Member
Can recommend this DVD if you are interested in what it was like. It's a genuine contemporary account using archive material.

Nightbombers :

archive colour footage of an RAF bombing raid on Berlin in the winter of 1943 - probably the most heavily defended target of them all and one that made terrible demands on the courage of the aircrew.

D

Deleted member 1258

There was a sobering and fascinating documentary on a couple of years ago telling the story of the D Day landings and the fight across France into Germany, told in the words of the surviving solders that fought it and containing interviews with the survivors. As gbb said we are lucky to never have to face that and maximum respect to the guys that did it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On one of my local routes (Eynesford in Kent) there is a memorial to a Spitfire pilot who crashed and was killed.

The lad was only 20 years old when he died in 1940 and I find it very humbling at not only his young age but also that he traveled from New Zealand to sign up and to help fight a war that must have seemed so far away.

What is even more amazing is that he had already survived been shot down previously over Folkestone and was quite badly burned and injured. He discharged himself from hospital to rejoin his unit.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Aye - real heroes, from a bygone age. My Grandad was a Tail-End-Charlie on a Lanc. He got lucky... 27 or so missions and never had to fire on an enemy aircraft! The crew he trained with were not so fortunate but the original Pilot contracted appendicitis and his replacement brought his own gunners. My Grandad got sent to a new crew - Aussie outfit, as it goes. Funny how things turn out. He used to tell me stories about a few of the close scrapes they had and almost getting taken out by another Lanc that had been hit and was going down. Must have been terrifying up there.

snorri

Legendary Member
I chanced upon the grave of Guy Gibson of dambusters fame on my cycle tour last summer. I hadn't realised he had crashed and was killed in the Netherlands along with his navigator and both were buried there, not in a big war cemetery but just along with local people.
A string of medals and dead at 26, all very humbling.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I read that the average age of the dead in bomber crews was 22 years. The average! 44% of all crews were killed.

Absolute slaughter really.

Top Bottom