A very unusual noise source

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I had trouble changing gears on a commute to work earlier in the week, and in the pre-dawn darkness had trouble diagnosing it. The pedals were meeting with a lot of resistance, but eventually moved again. This morning, while cleaning the bike, I found out why:

20200307_broken-chainstay-protector-plate.jpg

There was a metal plate glued to the chainstay just where the front chain rings are, presumably to protect the chainstay in the event of the chain coming off. The problem is that it had started to come unstuck, and eventually "curled" off to the point where it started scraping against the large chain ring. I was wondering why the drivetrain's noise increased after my pre-dawn commuting gear changing problem. The noise was due to this bent metal plate scraping against the large chain ring. :wacko: I used pliers to peel it off, not difficult because it was already half off, and the glue wasn't actually that strong.

Sharky

Guru
Looks like a complete write off. Justifies the next N+1!

But good you sorted it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just had wierder. Got the 3/4 bibs out and spotted a hole about the size of a 10p inside the left thigh. Got on the bike and realised straight away that it had been caused by the loose end of the velcro strap on my little saddlebag fretting and abrading the lycra where my thigh was passing close to the seatpost. After a short 9 mile pootle the velcro had rubbed my thigh raw and taken off the top layer of skin, which smarted a bit.

The problem was that on my previous bike, which has a round seatpost, I had needed to get the sewing kit out and sew a small bight in the velcro strap so as to get the two fuzzy parts to meet. The new bike has a thicker D profile post, meaning the end of the velcro sticks out sideways. I cut the threads holding the bight, elongated the strap to wrap right round the new post, then stitched a small pice of black canvas over the hole in my bibs. Sorted!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just had wierder. Got the 3/4 bibs out and spotted a hole about the size of a 10p inside the left thigh. Got on the bike and realised straight away that it had been caused by the loose end of the velcro strap on my little saddlebag fretting and abrading the lycra where my thigh was passing close to the seatpost. After a short 9 mile pootle the velcro had rubbed my thigh raw and taken off the top layer of skin, which smarted a bit.
I had that problem years ago, in the days before I switched to using a cycling backpack.

I also had the problem when I didn't notice that my saddle wasn't pointing quite straight ahead. I didn't feel it happening but then felt a draught!

Top Bottom