A128, Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I am thinking of a ride down to Grays tomorrow and the obvious route is straight down the A128 between Ongar and almost into Grays. I does go through the middle of Brentwood but I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the road, ie, traffic levels etc, or even better routes.

I cycled that way a few times last year when I worked in Chelmsford, the A128 isnt too bad a road but if you have time its more pleasant to take the old Ongar Road to Stondon Massey and the Doddinghurst Road to Brentwood. There also a plethora of smaller lanes if you want quieter again. Cyclestreets do a good few options.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I cycled that way a few times last year when I worked in Chelmsford, the A128 isnt too bad a road but if you have time its more pleasant to take the old Ongar Road to Stondon Massey and the Doddinghurst Road to Brentwood. There also a plethora of smaller lanes if you want quieter again. Cyclestreets do a good few options.

Funnily enough I went to Stondon Massey yesterday for the first time, but then turned off up towards Chelmsford. Your suggestion looks OK, and I may well give it a try.

Lee_M

Guru
yep the A128 isn't the worst road in the world, but I'd find a quieter route if possible once you get to the A127 - peope do tend to use it as a bit of a racetrack at times

I have rode that route quite a few times as i live nearby and would say that between ongar and the a127/a128 roundabout is quite pleasant with only a slight long ascent going into kelvedon hatch.

The stretch from the a127/a128 roundabout to the orsett cock roundabout is a lot more busier with a 50 mph speed limit.

Mind you i don't think you will be going that fast compo.:whistle:

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
I rode right down the A128 until you turn off for East Tilbury. I really chose the wrong time to do the ride and was between Ongar and Brentwood during the morning rush hour, coupled with the fact it was raining. To be honest I doubt I will do that ride again during the week. It is a ride for a Sunday morning!

Top Bottom