A232 Croydon Flyover - Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
If anyone knows it, are we supposed to cycle on it?

It's only a 40mph section but a bit of a race track. The cycle route takes you down the side into oblivion and wastes ten minutes or so.

I suppose there would be a no cycling sign if that were the case actually, nevertheless I'd like to hear from cyclists who do that bit.

Ta,

TP

Andrew_P

In between here and there
If anyone knows it, are we supposed to cycle on it?

It's only a 40mph section but a bit of a race track. The cycle route takes you down the side into oblivion and wastes ten minutes or so.

I suppose there would be a no cycling sign if that were the case actually, nevertheless I'd like to hear from cyclists who do that bit.

Ta,

TP
I wouldn't fancy it where are you heading up the Purley Way towards Purley? Or Straight across towards Wallington?

vickster

Legendary Member
Only time I rode that way I went down the side, along the bottom and up the other side, don't think it wasted 10 minutes, I wouldn't fancy cycling across it

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yeah straight across east/west.

Goggle maps took me pissing around the tram tracks around their on the way back too which is a hazard of itself.
I've got about 20 miles to do on th A232 and I'd rather just get on with it than weave around backstreets and car parks.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't want to ride 20 miles on the A232 especially in rush hour, the traffic was awful when I was using it 15 years ago to get from Beckenham to Epsom and I doubt it's going to be any better now!

I think if you go off to the left before the flyover, it's simple to get back up. Where are you going from and to?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I wouldn't want to ride 20 miles on the A232 especially in rush hour, the traffic was awful when I was using it 15 years ago to get from Beckenham to Epsom and I doubt it's going to be any better now!

I think if you go off to the left before the flyover, it's simple to get back up. Where are you going from and to?

Don't know if just Friday traffic or if I got there earlier than usual but it was a sweet ride this morning and the flyover virtually empty.

In the evenings it's fine too, so I'll see how it goes next week.

I was really wondering if there was an easy diversion east to west that didn't involve faffing in the back streets, breaking, turning, etc. Analysed google maps again last night and it doesn't look like there are easy options.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Rode it a fair few times without issue.

Mile195

Veteran
I ride it occasionally. Those sort of roads I just tend to get my head down and pedal faster so I'm on it for less time. Ultimately though, provided you've got your wits about you, lit up properly and riding defensively I don't think it's necessarily any more or less dangerous than any other road. In fact, sometimes you could argue that they are in some ways a bit safer, despite being fast roads. Usual hazards of people pulling across your path and pedestrians unexpectedly wondering into the road suddenly evaporate when there's no junctions or pavements.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ridden it many times , from purley side. No dramas...bit of rear obs required when you join as you need to cross an exit to continue and slightly down hill to start so easier to get up some speed to clear the exit.

Simontm

Veteran
Where you heading to? Till the off, the only part of the A232 I used was Carshalton to Beddington Park eastwards. I always use the Wandle trail otherwise. Dunno if this would help? Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 4.12.25 p.m..png