A30 east and west of Exeter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
any good for cycling on?

or would I be better off, and/or enjoy it more, on the more minor roads of the vicintiy?

will be on a triple fitted touring bike heading west from Shaftesbury to Saint Juliot (N Cornwall Coast-ish between Bude and Tintagel) in early August overnighting in Exeter or environs

(cross posting on ctc forum)

hubbike

I used A30 at the start of a LEJOG trip. Not the most plesant road to cycle on around there.

I'd be tempted to head to Taunton and follow the Grand Western Canal tow path to Tiverton and then head up through Exmoor on quiet roads, then follow the coast.

Greenbank

Über Member
I did the A30 from Stockbridge to Honiton on my way down to Cornwall last year. Perfectly fine to cycle along.

My route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/143181

I gave up at Honiton as the weather had been horrible all day and I wasn't having much fun. Although looking back I wish I'd pushed on.

The detour after Crewkerne was to drop in at my parents. Just carry on on the A30 to Chard.

The Yeovil detour was to avoid it at rush hour, doing it again I'd probably just carry on on the A30.

Zoom in on the route after Honiton and you'll see it uses smaller roads that run parallel to the big bad A30 to Exeter. From Exeter I was just going to go over Dartmoor to Tavistock, Liskeard, Bodmin and then along the Camel Trail to Padstow. Obviously I have no experience of this section but I can assure you that it is quite hilly.

Brains

Legendary Member
The A30 is in effect a motorway.
From Exeter to Bodmin it is Dual carrageway all the way, with a normal speed of 70+ mph

I can't see any point on cycling on it, noisy, fast, dangerous and thoughly unpleasant.

The A30 is a very fast road, the single lane is national speed limit (60mph) but as a local and someone that uses the road every day (in Taxi) i really would'nt want to ride it, from Honiton to Exeter you can use the old A30 which is quite a pleasant ride and used by alot of cyclist and it is signposted for cycles
Why not have a look at the Sustrans Westcountry Way Route and see if you can find a more pleasant ride to your destination

Simon

Joe

Über Member
Does it have slip roads? I'm trying to decide on whether to take it on my LEJOG. I have no problem with fast busy dual carriageways (particularly as I'm starting on a Sunday morning) but hate getting across motorway style slip roads!

Greenbank

Über Member
Joe said:
Does it have slip roads? I'm trying to decide on whether to take it on my LEJOG. I have no problem with fast busy dual carriageways (particularly as I'm starting on a Sunday morning) but hate getting across motorway style slip roads!

Yes, it does for some sections west of Exeter.

Use google maps, zoom in on the satellite view and look for yourself.

P.S. Sometimes the best way to take on sliproads is to pull over to the left where the main road verge ends (where you can get onto the sliproad), wait for a break in the traffic and cross the sliproad at right angles to the traffic, then carry on along the left hand side of the traffic. I've seen some sliproads with suggested signs for cycles to do this anyway.

*rustles up MSPaint* Something like this:-

sliproad.jpg

That way you choose when to cross the stream of traffic, rather than worrying about it coming up on your left at 70mph.

Rob S

The A30 dual carriageway between Exeter and Launceston can and should be easily avoided. At Exeter take the B3212 Moretonhamstead road and just as it goes under the A30 turn right and follow the old A30 as it goes through Tedburn S Mary, Cheriton Bishop, Whiddon Down, Sticklepath to Okehampton....then you can follow a decent bit of NCN...the Granite Trail from Okehampton railway station, over the Meldon viaduct, to Sourton Cross....then pickup the old A30 again (where it is called the West Devon Drive)through Bridestowe, Lewdown, Lifton to Launceston.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
check this - somewhere west of Exeter

http://bishopsimeontrust.wordpress.com/

It's a funny thing - I did the A30 from Penzance to Exeter and really didn't have a problem with it - it's fast cycling and it cuts out a lot of gradient. On the other hand - I've tried the A30 at Stockbridge (see Greenbank's contribution above) and been scared witless. Maybe we just travelled at different times.

Top Bottom