A303 HighWay To The Sun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On a similar vein, could we equal, Steve Earle & The Dukes evocative track; 'Nowhere Road'
- though I guess, some of our Roman roads are, as Earle wrote; 'straighter than a Preacher, & longer than a memory'

Returning to the West Riding, & the A1
Here's a few more of my pictures;

Micklefield, by-passed

West Yorkshire Scenes. Micklefield. Great North Road. Milepost. Old Alignment. 2.JPG West Yorkshire Scenes. Micklefield. Trade Route. 1.JPG West Yorkshire Scenes. Micklefield. Trade Route. 2.JPG West Yorkshire Scenes. Micklefield. Trade Route. 3.JPG

Aberford;
Gascoigne AlmsHouses,
Mile-Post,
Post Horse sign at The Swan,
The Swan,
Posting bell at The Swan (rang to announce imminant departure)

'GNR' sign at Brotherton (where the 'Tadcaster TurnPike' left the GNR)

Attachments

• West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. Gascoigne Almshouses. 1.JPG
    West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. Gascoigne Almshouses. 1.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 23
  • West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. Great North Road. Milepost. Old Alignment.JPG
    West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. Great North Road. Milepost. Old Alignment.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 23
  • West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 5.JPG
    West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 5.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 22
  • West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 6.JPG
    West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 6.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 24
  • West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 8.JPG
    West Yorkshire Scenes. Aberford. The Swan Hotel. 8.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 21
  • West Yorkshire Scenes. Brotherton. Great North Road.JPG
    West Yorkshire Scenes. Brotherton. Great North Road.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 22
Yup, the A30 is still a complete link between London and Cornwall and is my usual route to London on a bike. The A303 bypasses a section of it from near Basingstoke to just east of here — this end known locally as Devonshire Inn, from the farm on the junction.

I am stuck near the other end.

It is an odd road in that is seems to start in the middle of nowhere and end in the middle of nowhere.

I had about 10 months of running up and down from Basingstoke to Frome each day. Aside from that I just seem to spend time plotting holiday trips down to the Westcountry at some daft time in the morning to avoid the traffic. Had enough of two hour tailbacks because someone slowed down to look at Stonehenge.

Brains

Legendary Member
British A roads just don't have the same appeal as American rock and roll roads like Route 66.

Could you imagine 'well if you ever plan to motor west...get your kicks on the A303...well it winds from Basingstoke to Honiton...'

upload_2015-2-20_12-53-0.png

(Yamaha advert c1983, my brother back right, there is another picture of him at about the same time currently being used in the Lloyds bank advert)

upload_2015-2-20_12-57-59.png

subaqua

What’s the point
When you die, perhaps you should get your family to put your ashes in a salt cellar attached to the bumper of a car and scatter you the entire length of the A303.

Saw the programme and quite enjoyed it. There's an infinite amount of material there as you could make programmes about every one of Britain's major trunk roads. The A56 is my particular pet road as much of my recent life has taken place up and down its length.

This map explains British road numbering and will interest a few on here. Roads are numbered according to their zone, going clockwise:

azones.gif

For example Cheshire and Cumbria have roads numbered A5* and B5***

there are a few exceptions though http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/road-numbers/allpurpose.shtml the A14 starts in zone 5 ;)

Attachments

• azones.gif
    azones.gif
    32.9 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom