A303 Sparkford to Ilchester "upgrade"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
I emailed them for some information on the scheme and got this response:
Highways England said:
Thank you for your email on 28 July about non-motorised user provisions on the A303 Sparkford to Ilchester Dualling scheme.

I’ve answered each of your questions below –

• Are there any proposed restrictions on such usage?

There are no legal restrictions on cyclists using the new A303.

• I note that there seems to be some network of "NMU routes" on your scheme overview map, including some proposed.

For information the attached document includes the final certified plans for the rights of way provision along the scheme. These were included as part of the scheme ‘s Development Consent Order (DCO) which was granted on 29 January 2021 by the Secretary of State for Transport.

• What will be the design standard of these routes?

Design standards are as follows:

Bridleways utilising maintenance tracks = unbound access track constructed of a stone access track

Bridleways and footpaths = grassed routes, generally located away from the road or using the grass verge

Footways and shared footways (incl. cyclists and equestrians) = asphalt finish

• Can you confirm that they do in fact form a coherent alternative route to the A303, as the map makes them look horribly disconnected?

An east-west NMU provision has been provided along the length of the scheme as per the attached plans, and with additional detail below:

• From the west of the scheme to Downhead Lane, there will be a bridleway utilising a maintenance track
  • Downhead to Steart Hill Link, there will be a grassed bridleway
  • Steart Hill Link to Steart Hill Roundabout and to Howell Hill east will be a shared footway
  • Howell Hill east to Traits Lane will consist of a bridleway utilising maintenance track
  • Traits Lane to Gason Lane will be a grassed footpath (there will be no legal provision for cycle or equestrian use within this section)
  • Gason Lane to former A303 – utilising the existing road and grassed bridleway
  • Former A303 to Hazlegrove roundabout – utilising the grassed bridleway or former A303

• Especially if you plan on imposing restrictions on the mainline A303, have you assessed the impact on journey time by using the NMU routes between Sparkford and Podimore?

As noted above, there are no legal restrictions on the mainline A303. Impacts on the NMU provision were assessed as part of the Environmental Statement submitted for the DCO examination. More information can be found in chapter 12 on the Planning Inspectorate’s website if you’d like to have a read: https://infrastructure.planninginspectorate.gov.uk/wp-content/ipc/uploads/projects/TR010036/TR010036-000141-A303_6.1_ES_Chapter_12_People_and_Communities.pdf

• Finally, I note in your statutory consultation that you predict vastly increased traffic levels beyond the scheme boundaries in the near term - no doubt further increasing. In particular, +2300 AADT west of Podimore Roundabout, +2100 on the Sparkford Bypass, and +1700 on the A303 West of the Ilchester A37 trumpet interchange.Particularly the section of A303 between the A37 GSJ and South Petherton has no convenient alternatives for NMUs.

• Similarly the A303 between Holton and the Sparkford Bypass requires a detour through South Cadbury to avoid, albeit of a lesser scale.

• Have you assessed the impact of increased traffic on NMU journeys and safety?

The scheme impacts on the NMU provision were assessed as part of the Environmental Statement submitted as part of the DCO examination and can also be found in chapter 12, which I have shared above. The areas you identify above would have fallen outside of the assessment required for the NMU provision and as this is outside of the works boundary for the scheme works we’re unable to consider the NMU provision in these areas at this moment in time.
So great, another stretch of online dualling without a convenient alternative...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I especially like how that Chapter 12 lumps all NMUs into one heading and ignores that most of them can't use footpaths which make up the bulk of the analysis, then devotes a whole topic to just the stress of drivers, then another whole topic to the views seen by motorised travellers!

Farking daffodils. I thought "Gear Change" meant more than settling for "not significant" improvements to trunk* roads. Is anyone nearby and able to www.writeToThem.com to their MP to ask Minister Shapps how this complies with the Gear Change transport policies? I know it's a national policy and a possible precedent, but I guess my MP would wonder why he should care about faraway Stonehenge that much :sad:

* - not their current official name but you know it.

Top Bottom