A39 link road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamie_C

Regular
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to map a simple 25 mile loop to use as an evening training route. I've planned it all out, there is however one thing that is concerning me.

The route takes me from Torrington along the B3232 towards Barnstaple where it meets the A39 link road. I want to then follow the A39 towards Bideford and then back round to Torrington.

Does anyone use this particular stretch of the A39? I have been advised against using it as it is quite busy, and during the several years I've lived down here I can't say I've ever seen another cyclist using it. There are no signs to say that cycling is prohibited as far as I'm aware. Can anyone help?

Jamie :smile:

Your choice as it appears at first glance that there's nothing to restrict you but I'd prefer to ride the B3233 near Barnstable (Roundswell) to Bidesford.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
There's no cyclist restriction on the A39, but I wouldn't use it. B3233 looks the way to go, if you can manage not to stop in Instow for a pint. Similarly, the North Devon Link Road is legally fine for cyclists, but drivers effectively treat it as an extension of the motorway network. When there are perfectly fine alternatives to these trunk roads, I'll take them every time.

Top Bottom