I need advice for riding on road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I plan to ride my bike from one city to the other. many trailer trucks on the road as well as people driving dangerously.

What should I wear? something bright?what accessories do I need?

How do I see behind me, Do I need mirrors? this is my main question.
or bell? will anyone even hear the bell? how about glasses? medical supplies?

Any other advise for my safety? by the way I have only ridden with other cars a few times for very short period. and I don't know rules of the road.

Also My helmet cost like 15-20 dollars, so I don't know if it is any good.

p.s If this is in the wrong forum please move it.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Can’t help
Do be aware that this is a UK site

OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
I'm not looking for legal advice, just advice to be safe.
Can’t help
Do be aware that this is a UK site

good point, thanks.
p.s why can't help?

First step, given that you've said you don't know the rules of the road, is to find them out. Learn on which roads you can and can't cycle.
There may be local laws that require the wearing of Hi-Vis. But normally it's not a requirement for cycling.

Thanks.
I want to know for my own safety, if I need it. I only have 2 red reflectors on my bike (one is a light actually).

vickster

Legendary Member
What country are you in?
Do you have a driving license, if so you presumably did some learning as part of that? If not, perhaps getting hold of whatever driver manual there is for your country? It’s called the Highway Code in the U.K.
Can you do a course or join a group to get some roadcraft?
Your helmet should be adequate if it fits properly and you have it correctly adjusted under your chin etc and is undamaged.
I’ve never had a mirror on a bike, I look over my shoulders and use my eyes and especially ears! Definitely don’t ride with anything in or over your ears on the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mk-Verstappen

Regular
What country are you in?
Do you have a driving license, if so you presumably did some learning as part of that? If not, perhaps getting hold of whatever driver manual there is for your country? It’s called the Highway Code in the U.K.
Your helmet should be adequate if it fits properly and you have it correctly adjusted under your chin etc and is undamaged.
I’ve never had a mirror on a bike, I look over my shoulders and use my eyes and especially ears! Definitely don’t ride with anything in or over your ears on the road

No drivers licence.
Well would I not hurt my neck looking back every 15 seconds? :biggrin:
Yeah the helmet fits.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
From your description it sounds like you will be riding on interstate highways which is going to be busy with lots of traffic and heavy trucks. I wouldn't like to negotiate roads like that on a bike. Try to find a route using quiet secondary roads.
Re safety make yourself as visible as possible with lights and hi viz stuff.
Perhaps some of our US members could comment.

In the UK there's bikeability. It's a course you can do to learn safe cycling skills. There's a book called bikecraft I believe that teaches safe cycling. There's the highway code book that teaches good practise and current regulations. It is used for learning to drive a car but is useful for cyclists too.

As you might have guessed, all in the UK and UK focused advice. I am certain other countries will have something similar but I do not know for sure.

My advice is to learn good road positioning. Also ride with predictability, confidence and awareness. You need to know what's around you that's a potential hazard. You need to help motorists to know your actions and intentions such that you signal intended changes of direction, speed, etc = predictable. And above all confidence as you have a right to be on routes you're legally allowed on despite how traffic can make you feel the opposite.

Other than that I think it's country specific.

Brandane

Legendary Member
many trailer trucks on the road as well as people driving dangerously.

There's your answer right there; don't do it!

will anyone even hear the bell?

No.

I have only ridden with other cars a few times for very short period.

Definitely don't do it!

I don't know rules of the road.

Learn them before you even think about going out on ANY road!! DEFINITELY - DO NOT even think about this ride!!!

My helmet cost like 15-20 dollars, so I don't know if it is any good.

No comment - it will get me barred from the thread. Suffice to say, helmet threads are in a separate section. But, if you think a plastic hat is going to save you - definitely, DEFINITELY; do not venture out on this ride. Or any other for that matter. Certainly not until you understand the rules of your country's roads (wherever that might be).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
x1000 on knowing what the general driving rules are for motorised vehicles. Once you know what 'they' are supposed to be doing it makes it a lot easier for you to integrate your presence into the mix. Knowing what the road markings mean, what signs imply/enforce, when you should stop at the line or when you have priority etc makes the journey much easier and less confusing for all parties.

Secondly, in the UK at least, it is often not helpful to be timidly riding along in the gutter trying to avoid all traffic. This encourages motorists to perform dangerous passes and mentally remove you from the equation as a road user. Confidence to sensibly assert your position is a massive part of the rider skillset, but also knowing when NOT to foolishly be brave!

Interstates, motorways, dual-carriageways etc are usually avoided by even the hardiest of riders (me included) due to the volume and speed of traffic and the increased risks and chances of becoming a fatality should an accident occur.

Unfortunately advice from here in the UK may not be entirely relevant to you in the States. During a visit I made to near Boston just a few years ago I crossed a road on foot between cars at a junction while they were stopped at a red light light. Something that you wouldn't think twice about doing here in the UK. In the US I had drivers bawling at me out of the window for being a dumb moron! The mindset of drivers towards non-motorised road users is just completely different.

Ride safely and make sure you live to tell the tale. Helmets and hi-viz are unlikely to save your life!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Almost all of my riding is on roads, most of those city centre ones.

Hi-vis works in low light, but not at other times. Me? I tend to just wear normal cycling kit.

What I do have is a bright rear light, plus a front light. At night/ low light I'll run two rear lights - one flashing, one static. Whether you can use a flashing light depends on local laws though.

vickster

Legendary Member
No drivers licence.
Well would I not hurt my neck looking back every 15 seconds? :biggrin:
Yeah the helmet fits.

Why on earth do you need to look every 15 seconds? Are you deaf?
You need to look when doing a manoeuvre mostly, not if riding in a straight line.
Are you a teenager? If so, it would be safer if you just ride with an adult or not at all on major roads

Reactions: C R

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Try and hook up with some local cyclists who might have knowledge to pass on. It sounds that this journey might be OK for an experienced cyclist who understands the risks. But it also seems like you're not that experienced. So you need to build up some experience, skills and confidence first so that you can make a realistic assessment of the risks yourself. Asking a bunch of Brits on a forum doesn't cut it.

Study the maps and see if you can take a route that doesn't have trailer trucks and people driving dangerously. Even if it is much longer.

Bells are handy for signalling your presence to pedestrians as you ride sedately and slowly along a shared use path. They are no use at all in traffic. Lights and hi vis may or may not make a small difference, but not a great one, if at all. Helmets - best not mention them.

Top Bottom