A39 OR A30

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delport

I have even been considering the idea of riding this stretch as some unearthly hour on a summer's Sunday morning to avoid the worst. Providing I left LE at 5am, I would have hopefully reached Lanceston and the shelter of the old A30 before the new A30 turns into a motorway.

Sorry it's my 1st post,i completed john o'groats to lands end 3 weeks ago.
The A30 between Lands end to Penzance is okay, other than that stretch i'd stay off the A30.
Even at 6 am to 7am the A30 was busy.

Another road i found too fast was the A38.

I often cycled very early in the morning during my trip, any time from 1 am to 6 am.Many roads were quiet at that time.
You can go from Penzance to Camborne on quiet back roads [look for B3280 on the map] it goes through Praze an beeble/Leedstown/Goldsithney.It's not a hilly route.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's possible to go south of Bodmin via St Neot, Minions and join the B3254 either at Upton Cross or further north. From distant memory it's not that bad.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I have never ridden on the A30, but have driven along it from Exeter to the Truro turn-off (and back) many, many times. It is a very fast road, and although it is a good one, I shudder at the thought of being on it on a bike. If the traffic is light, all motorists are doing at least seventy. Please avoid it.

Edit: Since getting back in the saddle a year ago, when I see cyclists on the A30 I really think that they are either being stupid or very brave. No seriously, I really do.
here's a funny thing. The A30 is a lot safer than the A217 - the one we did together last Friday. It's down to lane widths.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
here's a funny thing. The A30 is a lot safer than the A217 - the one we did together last Friday. It's down to lane widths.

I'm not sure how happy I would have been about riding along the A217 in daylight in a small group or solo. I think the lack of traffic and the shear number of very bright red rear lights made it feel a bit safer.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Here is a route for anyone that is interested. It shadows the New A30 and uses parts of the old. Interestingly Bikeroutetoaster refused to allowed navigation along the new A30.

http://bikeroutetoas...x?course=192236

Hmm. If you're after speed I should stick to the old main road through Camborne through to Scorrier, Blackwater, and then join that route. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Like most calculated routes it does a few odd things that could do with tidying.

Top Bottom