A55 - Penmaenmawr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TWBNK

I am hoping to cycle down to Anglesey in the next couple of months and am wondering if anyone knows what is with the stretch of the National route 5 around penmaenmawr?

Looking around the internet the sustrans site says the route is temporarily suspended, but some other sites mention that bridges are open and what not.

One link I followed stated that it wasn't suitable for leisure cyclists but gave the impression of being passable. Other than those two stretches around the tunnel the route looks quite good.

Has anyone ridden this stretch recently?

sadjack

Its some months since I rode that area and everything was OK then.

Have you looked here?

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/nwles_co_cyw.htm

You could try contacting the editor Roy Spilsbury via their contact page for up to date info if no-one answers here.

OP
OP
TWBNK

TWBNK

Thanks, I'll give it a go, this ride will be my longest to date and I would hate to get that far and have to turn back.

Dormouse

The new cycle route around the headland is open but I haven't tried it myself. Cyclists have been banned from using the promenade at Penmaenmawr recently but you could always walk that bit if necessary!

mike1026

You used to have to cross the A55 twice between Penmaemawr and Llanfairfechan but last July two bridges were opened after much delay. The bridges are superb and make this route so much easier. I regularly do this route between Chester and Dolgellau NCR5 from Chester to Bangor and NCR8 to Dolgellau. Unlike most of the National Cycle Network much of this route is off road and is being continually improved. I usually follow the coast road (A548) between Flint and Gronant rather than follow the signed route over the top above Holywell. Although busy with traffic, it is more interesting has some good eating places, and is flat. Another slight variation that you may prefer is from Rhos-on-Sea. The route is signed to Llandudno Junction along Pendorian Road this is OK but in my view it is nicer to continue from Rhos along Glan-y-Mor Road over Penrhyn Hill into Llandudno. At West Shore there is now a reasonable cycle path to Conwy via Deganwy. Be aware that cycling is now forbidden along the prom at Llandudno and at times is strictly enforced.

redddraggon

Blondie
Does anyone have a .tcx etc of the full route? I done bits along it at various times, but I'd be tempted to do it all one go but I can't work out what the Chester -> Bangor route actually is.

Top Bottom