A646 Burnley

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clid61

Veteran
to Todmorden , only 10 miles but what sort of climb is it ? Need some local knowledge please, google maps street view doesn't really show me much

Try Elevation Data on http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php? Looks positively flat compared to the Nelson-Hebden Bridge route I've done (with a 13-year old :eek:)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The steepest bits are getting onto the A646 in Burnley.

If you are coming from the Rose Grove direction then you have a stiff little climb up Rossendale Road (A646) to contend with to just beyond the traffic lights on Manchester Road, then there is a quick descent to Walk Mill.

If you come up Manchester Road from the centre of Burnley, then that is also steeper than the A646 itself.

The other way up to the A646 is the A671 and that is steeper than the A646.

There is a gentle rise averaging 2.4% from Walk Mill through Holme Chapel to Cliviger Gorge where the road crosses the railway line, and then there is a nice downhill all the way to Tod.

I always find the false flat after Holme Chapel very deceptive. It looks flat but you are still going up at about 2% so it feels slow for no apparent reason.

Coming back from Tod is a long drag up to the crossing over the railway line, and then you whiz down to Walk Mill.

It is a pretty straightforward road. The worst aspect of it is the rush hour traffic.

If you tell me which way you are coming out of Burnley, I could knock up a profile for you.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
wow that's brilliant , very informative . Id be coming from Rose Grove , if it ain't too much trouble a profile would be greatly appreciated , thanks very much !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here you go. The worst climb is at 1 mile up Rossendale Rd towards manchester Rd.

A646 Rose Grove to Todmorden.gif

Hop3y

Padiham Commuter
The steepest bits are getting onto the A646 in Burnley.

If you are coming from the Rose Grove direction then you have a stiff little climb up Rossendale Road (A646) to contend with to just beyond the traffic lights on Manchester Road, then there is a quick descent to Walk Mill.

If you come up Manchester Road from the centre of Burnley, then that is also steeper than the A646 itself.

The other way up to the A646 is the A671 and that is steeper than the A646.

There is a gentle rise averaging 2.4% from Walk Mill through Holme Chapel to Cliviger Gorge where the road crosses the railway line, and then there is a nice downhill all the way to Tod.

I always find the false flat after Holme Chapel very deceptive. It looks flat but you are still going up at about 2% so it feels slow for no apparent reason.

Coming back from Tod is a long drag up to the crossing over the railway line, and then you whiz down to Walk Mill.

It is a pretty straightforward road. The worst aspect of it is the rush hour traffic.

If you tell me which way you are coming out of Burnley, I could knock up a profile for you.

What he said - Rossendale Road is a killer of a short climb but there's some great downhills as well as the up (if you use the New Road).

Top Bottom