AA or AAA battery operated GPS bike computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I would like to replace my old bike computer with a new GPS battery operated one. It has to be AA or AAA battery operated, not a USB rechargeable one with limited (12 or 15 hour) operation time. I need one that will give me distance travelled, anything else is a bonus. I looked at Garmin Oregon range which looked good, is there any thing else?

Link a brother up!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Would a replacement battery (AA / AAA) GPS lose its setup and data when you replace the batteries ?
Is this an issue or consideration ?

Ive been using a string of Vistas for the last 20yrs (I have an unfortunate habit of burying them or throwing them over waterfalls) - last one got run over by a bulldozer - survived but was a bit flakey afterwards - so Ive gone to a GPS64 for touring - has buttons which i like and and a better ariel

Not an issue, but I quite like the look of this Garmin eTrex 30 if anyone has used one?
I've used one for a few years now.
They are very good once you've worked out it's quirks when plotting/replotting routes.
Best used with good rechargeables, but you do need someway of recharging them while on tour.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have an Oregon. Plusses are a really nice big screen. Uses AAs. Barometric altimiter. Comes with OS maps.

I like it, but it does have some shortcomings. Screen can be a bit hard to read sometimes in bright sunlight. Rain can sometimes mimic fingers on the touch screen (easy to lock though). Battery life not brilliant. Goes through a pair of rechargeable AAs in about 6-8 hours riding (quicker if you are using the backlight). Screen is glass so don't drop it (as per a touchscreen phone). Relatively expensive.

That sounds like a long list of gripes but actually I'm really happy with it.

Someone will be along to extol the virtues of the Etrex. It's cheaper than the Oregon and for your purposes, as you describe them, probably a better fit. But I'm not sure because I've never owned one.

I have an Oregon. Plusses are a really nice big screen. Uses AAs. Barometric altimiter. Comes with OS maps.

I like it, but it does have some shortcomings. Screen can be a bit hard to read sometimes in bright sunlight. Rain can sometimes mimic fingers on the touch screen (easy to lock though). Battery life not brilliant. Goes through a pair of rechargeable AAs in about 6-8 hours riding (quicker if you are using the backlight). Screen is glass so don't drop it (as per a touchscreen phone). Relatively expensive.

I considered the Oregon - same sort of spec and not dissimilar price to the GPS64 I ended up with - screen tho is very good in pretty much all light conditions (low strong sun directly ahead is the worst) - not touch screen so i dont get problems operating it in the rain - buttons are on top so im not groping for them if i operate it on the fly - I work mine from a combination of dedicated rechargeable batteries, my power tank thing, the hub dynamo and ordinary AAs depending on what is my priority for charging at the time - Camera battery → tablet → GPS → power tank - quite good on a set of ordinary AAs get at least 12hrs

I stick my good ole reliable 60CSx in my saddlebag - that lasts for ages.

^_^

D

Deleted member 23692

Not an issue, but I quite like the look of this Garmin eTrex 30 if anyone has used one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Out...Western/dp/B00XLVF3BG/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1
eTrex 30x user here.
It's perfect for bike touring use and offers super bang for buck when used with open street maps - they are free at http://talkytoaster.co.uk/maps/ or http://www.openmapchest.org/ and are both excellent. Battery life is around 25 hours.

I did go from an eTrex 20 to the newer touchscreen eTrex35 but after a few weeks sold it for (what some might conider a backwards step) a 30x.

djb1971

Legendary Member
I use a gpsmap64 in a ram mount . I have installed full garmin OS mapping and it's worked perfectly all over Scotland, where other gps gadgets have lost their signal. It has all normal bike gps stuff plus extras for hiking etc..

Works with gloved fingers on buttons too, not touch screen.

Top Bottom