AAAArgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KateK

KateK

home of the LBS, we have about one for every 4 of the population. Also home of the Scary Bike Shop Lady, Young Flash Bike Agent, Old Guy who really knows his bikes but likes to put really big tyres on your bike because you are a girly, Young Guy who knows bikes well but doesn't really do old bikes. Oh and Bloke on work experience and many more.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

I did have a look at a few posts when I thought about it but when you go to the shop the only choice is a sofa or a racer.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd start by making sure the post is at the same height as the old one, then roughly checking the rail to 'sitting area' is the same - some saddles can be 10mm or more different - if there is any difference you'll need to adjust. Start with the saddle somewhere in the middle of a line up the centre of the seat post (only a start) and the front and back ends need to be as level as possible. If the saddle has a raised rear, or swooping nose, make sure that the main middle 3/4's is level then.

Hebe

getting better all the time
I feel for you. My immediate LBS owner seems quite ill at ease around women (or perhaps just me) and it was always a struggle to leave the shop with anything approaching what I'd gone in for. I travel a bit further now to a shop that's run by a couple - the difference in service is remarkable and my cycling has come on in leaps and bounds too. If you can, try to track down a shop with better service. In the meantime, I find that arnica tablets are pretty helpful for easing discomfort and soreness.

Saddle wise, I have an old-style Specialized Sonoma on my mountain bike and shopping bike, my flat-bar road bike has a Selle Italia Diva Gel flow (which came with a 30 day money-back guarantee for reasonable use). I've also tried a Charge Ladle, which was fine but not as comfy as the Diva.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Thanks guys for your advice. I'll try adjusting it and if I can't improve it to rideable I think I will try to take it back. Sorry if I get so overheated, they must be putting something in me catty nibbles.

Before you go and spend a heap of money chasing the ideal saddle, I'd suggest that you peruse this chap's website and read what he has to say about saddles:

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/

There is a lot of hogwash written about bike fitting in general and saddles in particular; he works hard to dispel some of the myths, legends and misconceptions. I had my sitbones meansured at a Specialized Concept Store, and it still didn't provide the complete answer.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

thanks xpc, I'll have a look. They measured me too and I am almost sure i remembered it right. Still it seems to be taking a lot of weight in unusual places. had a go at changing the tilt and got it so I could actually stay on but with this weather it is not easy to find enough time between showers to really try it out.

lulubel

Über Member
I have a women's SDG Allure saddle spare at the moment. I'm near to Norwich if you'd like to borrow it and try for a while

I have a woman's SDG Allure too, but mine is definitely not spare! It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, but is slightly on the narrower side, which works for me but might not suit everyone.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

thanks, I'm a bit of a way from Norwich, but I'll bear it in mind. At present I'm back on my old saddle because the weather has just been too manky to try to get the new one right....

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Just an update folks. I did go back to the shop and we had another go at the arseometer...
NB don't go to bike shop in jeans as your bum will not register and you will end up sitting in a curtained cubicle with your trousers round your ankles trying to think heavy thoughts.
And it came out that I was a small not a large. The shop didn't stock a 130 but I managed to swop mine for the medium size and I've been using it for 2 weeks now and it is soooo much better than either my old one or the one I swapped it for. Gel saddle is a bit bouncy bouncy on the hills, but there wasn't any other option in women's specific... definitely worth going back even though it was well over a month later.

steve keay

Über Member
Just an update folks. I did go back to the shop and we had another go at the arseometer...
NB don't go to bike shop in jeans as your bum will not register and you will end up sitting in a curtained cubicle with your trousers round your ankles trying to think heavy thoughts.
And it came out that I was a small not a large. The shop didn't stock a 130 but I managed to swop mine for the medium size and I've been using it for 2 weeks now and it is soooo much better than either my old one or the one I swapped it for. Gel saddle is a bit bouncy bouncy on the hills, but there wasn't any other option in women's specific... definitely worth going back even though it was well over a month later.
Ha ha those visions made me laugh, thankyou. glad your sorted and bet your pleased the Arseometer says small :smile:

Top Bottom