Aaaargh!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any tips on sandpaper grit to remove the odd drip of paint on the frame I've just primed? Okay, I should have sent it to a powder coater etc but they're all expensive this way so I opted to do it myself.

Being a first paint job I've used some red-oxide primer underrneath and have used Halfords Primer filler spray but there are a few drips where the paint has been applied too unevenly with my inexperienced hands. So...any tips on removing the buggers? I figured just a more vigorous sanding down than the standard 600-800 grit when its dried since it's not going to be the last coat? Or strip it down and start again?

Many thanks to any urgent replies....:whistle::blush:

Gixxerman

Guru
Wet n dry paper is the stuff. Not sure what the official name for it is but that is what the automotive industry uses. If you ask for wet n dry paper in Halfrauds they will find you the right stuff. It comes in many grades from quite coarse down to very fine.

tyred

Legendary Member
Rubbing it down with fine wet and dry paper (put soap in the water to prevent the paper clogging) is the way to go but be careful here as some brands of red oxide take a ridiculously long time to harden properly and there is a danger of making a real mess if it isn't hardened when you start to rub it. If it's only a very thing coat, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks, looking closely it's a bloody mess in places so thanks for the advice I think it might be a job and a half. Whaddya' reckon - leave it for 48 hours?

Top Bottom