Aaargh, HALFORDS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great. Just found this thread. Went to have a look at the bike, a subway 1, and yup, got a 3 speed shifter and double chainring.
Can I take it back or complain? Not a chance, as bike was bought a couple of weeks ago in Aberdeen as a 'ships bike' and the ship will now be in Norway for the next year.
Suppose that makes it a company vehicle, being transported on a slightly larger (3000 tonnes) vehicle.
No one using it has complained yet though, and it's having to cope with a vast range of different seafarer sizes, weights and abuse.

OP
OP
B

bianco

Well, alls not so good. Cycled 12 miles to my halfords and they agreed to fit a shoddy suntour triple. Weighed easily twice as much as existing crankset. They also ruined the front mech trying to remove a cable, they are replacing this though.

I was also told shifting would be bad as its a cheap bike. I wasn't in a mood to argue so I just agreed to shut the guy up.

I've ended up buying a truvativ triple and new decent front mech for the bike which wasn't what I really wanted to do but would have been better than any alternative within our budget.

On a plus note the discs are starting to perform better now after "wearing in" And she really enjoys the bike.

A serious complaint is going in to halfords though explaining my reasons behind why I've done what I've done and the way the manager spoke to me like I've never rode a bike before, little he knows I've built more than my fair share and repaired more than most.

I'll update this topic when I get a reply.

Thanks

Martin

All my lovely memories of Halfrauds breaking my front mechanism during the first service, assembling my friend's bike without any bearings and telling me my headset seal had blown off in the wind are coming back.... :angry:

Tynan

Veteran
punkypossum said:
All my lovely memories of Halfrauds breaking my front mechanism during the first service, assembling my friend's bike without any bearings and telling me my headset seal had blown off in the wind are coming back.... :angry:

:ohmy:

:biggrin:

mikeitup

Veteran
I recommend people contact trading standards as the amount of f*** up's by halfords seem to be increasing.

I got a good deal on my Carrera and them took it to my lbs for a proper service. Rides like a dream.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mikeitup said:
I recommend people contact trading standards as the amount of f*** up's by halfords seem to be increasing.

I got a good deal on my Carrera and them took it to my lbs for a proper service. Rides like a dream.

my carrera was set up fine when i got it, unlike daughter's lump of pig iron apollo, which was no end of trouble.

other than the frame, and the handlebars, the bike has no halfords bits left on it.

Top Bottom