AARGH!!! Tyre/wheel sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Narrower tyres will fit, but it seems a shame to duff the new Road Cruisers.

You are unlikely to gain anything noticeable as regards rolling resistance, and wider tyres can sometimes roll better than narrow ones.

Seems likely the '45' in the mudguard spec refers to width, so the 700 ones should fit.

If you put a narrower tyre on, the mudguards might be a bit wider than the tread.

No harm in that provided you are OK with the look of it.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
From what you've said, the 700x32 should be fine. If you have wide rims the 700x28 might be borderline (19mm rims is usually the widest that they are recommended for).

For the mudguards the 700x45 should be about right. 26x42 is to fit bikes with 26 inch wheels so the curve won't be right for your bike.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You can fit 28mm tyres under 35mm width guards, but 45 would be more sensible. The current 42-622 tyres would probably need something wider, say 55mm. You want the 700c ones for the right profile round the wheel.

As for tyres, I would suggest you see how the current stock tyres feel. If you do decide to change them, 28-622 (700x28c) would probably fit your rims (assuming they aren't too wide, as @Rickshaw Phil said, 19mm internal width is normally considered the smallest for 28mm tyres), but I think you'd probably be better with 32-622 (700x32c).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5130685, member: 45"]I find that if you do the right swap and pick the right tyres, 28s can feel noticeably quicker than 32s or 35s.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

I've been pleased with the better rolling of my tubeless installation.

So if you are taking the tyres off your bike...

Ajax Bay

Guru
[QUOTE 5130685, member: 45"]I find that if you do the right swap and pick the right tyres, 28s can feel noticeably quicker than 32s or 35s.[/QUOTE]
How did this 'feel' communicate itself with you? More vibration on narrower tyres so you felt you were going faster? Clearly one make/model of tyre in 28 will be 'quicker' than another make/model in 32 or 35 (or indeed 28).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You can fit 28mm tyres under 35mm width guards, but 45 would be more sensible. The current 42-622 tyres would probably need something wider, say 55mm. You want the 700c ones for the right profile round the wheel.

As for tyres, I would suggest you see how the current stock tyres feel. If you do decide to change them, 28-622 (700x28c) would probably fit your rims (assuming they aren't too wide, as @Rickshaw Phil said, 19mm internal width is normally considered the smallest for 28mm tyres), but I think you'd probably be better with 32-622 (700x32c).
I've got Roval (Specialized) wheels on my 653 TT bike,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...00c-EV180938&usg=AOvVaw3KNRRU-S9qh-43BODg9erM

19mm internal width and 25s fit nicely in fact I was told they were designed to take them.

Top Bottom