Abandoned Bike-Carlisle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
Im not quite sure if this is the relevant thread or not,so please bear with me.Whilst out today,I came upon an abandoned MTB.It may be yours,or belong to someone you know.It is a Silver/Grey Probike MTB,in need of a little TLC,lying with it is a Black Bell MTB helmet.If you know Sandsfield Lane,running from Moorhouse Rd roundabout to Orton Rd,you will know the new footpath to Bunkers Hill roundabout.Enter from Sandsfield Lane,walk £30 yds or so and there is a gate on the left of the path.The bike is in the field and visible from the path.What struck me was the fact that the helmet had been hung almost deliberately on the bar end!Possibly stolen its an unusual thief who bothers about a helmet!Whatever,it may be a work bike as Ive never seen any of our local ne-er -do-wells wearing a helmet.Tried plod but the message service made it clear they were not interested,hence I post here.Oh well,hope springs eternal.....

Levo-Lon

Guru
Post it here,tho a pic is handy

https://m.facebook.com/UkStolenMountainBikes

SD1

The best thing you can do is to take it to the police station. Of course that may not be practical plus the owner may spot you and think you stole it!

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
The best thing you can do is to take it to the police station. Of course that may not be practical plus the owner may spot you and think you stole it!
Alas it isnt practical,plus the last time someone tried taking a bike to Carlise Police,they refused to accept it and told him that it was his responsibility to locate the owner(from a conversation in the LBS).It has to be said this appears to be their overall policy regarding lost property.

Levo-Lon

Guru
After seeing that link its probably pi55ed the owner off for the last time.lol

i nearly did the same with 1500 quids worth of golf gear..
and a bloke actually did throw his bag into the lake at Greetham Valley...then realized his car keys were in the bag ..awsome..he paddled around waist deep in water to retrieve them

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
Probikes are cheap bikes.
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/category/1070/ProBike_Womens_Bikes
It wont be worth much, maybe it's been abandoned because repairing it would cost more than buying another cheap bike?
Yes I know,but I couldnt ignore it-funnily enough it was the presence of the helmet that made me think.Im used to Probikes being ridden at me on pavements,their riders owners dont usually respond well to advice,particularly if forcibly expressed!

Sandra6

Veteran
Post it on CARLISLE spotted on Facebook.
If its still there rehome it temporarily and maybe donate it if it's not claimed.

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
Post it on CARLISLE spotted on Facebook.
If its still there rehome it temporarily and maybe donate it if it's not claimed.
Im not on Facebook,always steered clear of it to be honest.However,when I passed the spot yesterday,the bike had gone.It would be nice to think that whatever the value of the bike,the owner had retrieved it.Bit youre quite right,had I been able to do as you suggest,it would perhaps have been an idea to give it a couple of weeks then give Rebike a ring,explaining all of course.I suppose I could have tried Radio Cumbria(they have cyclists amongst their staff)but it would have probably been the main headline!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
After seeing that link its probably pi55ed the owner off for the last time.lol

i nearly did the same with 1500 quids worth of golf gear..
and a bloke actually did throw his bag into the lake at Greetham Valley...then realized his car keys were in the bag ..awsome..he paddled around waist deep in water to retrieve them
Never realised golf was such a stressful sport :laugh:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-veWlU1IKlg

Globalti

Legendary Member
The people who inhabit this forum generally value bikes but to some other folk a bike, especially a cheap one, is just an object that they happen to ride and can get dumped, lost or forgotten the same as a cheap banger or a child's scooter. It's the throwaway age.

Top Bottom