Abandoned bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
The management of our offices has asked if anyone wants to claim the Spesh Rockhopper that's been locked up outside for a couple of years...

What's the law on this situation?

Is a Rockhopper frame worth claiming? ( What's left of the rest of the bike is dubious)

Cheers.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Is a Rockhopper frame worth claiming? ( What's left of the rest of the bike is dubious)
Cheers.
Not really in Porsche territory.

Same thing happened where I work for one bike, legal advised it had to be left where it was or at least kept somewhere for the owner. Even the bike locks they cut off the old racks (when they got changed) along with that bike are still there on the floor.

Not saying that is the law but our place got cold feet of (I think the plan was) to donate it to a local charity that does up and sells bikes cheap.

In your case, if management are offering, I'd take it as any dispute I think would be between the owner and them not you?

Ern1e

Über Member
Surely if it has been there a "couple of years" then it could be argued it has been well and truly abondoned ? I would have a chat with your local council to see if any legal requirements are needed and also the local police who could check on it being stolen.If it's the same as abondoned vehicles they usualy put a notice on it then after that runs out off it goes,so you may need to do this before hand.

On public space its not an issue - council etc can just move them, for instance when the need to build and there is a bike chained to say the fence they want to dig up.

Privately it gets difficult, I dont know for certain if there is any law at all that covers this.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
It's on commercial property. The owners are moving out and clearing up their mess I suspect, before they hand it over. It probably belonged to an employee of one of the companies that rented office space there years ago.

I'm undecided. Rockhoppers are what £800ish? So the frame alone is probably only £100. Put new wheels, chainset etc...ah maybe not worth the hassle.

KneesUp

Guru
I have I bike I claimed - it wasn't locked though.

Just call your local police and tell them what you are doing. Give them the frame number and a description and your phone number, then get a reference and take it. If no-one claims it in two weeks, it's yours.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Get the frame and give it to one of those bike charity places that do up bikes for under privileged kids if you are not wanting it.

Crankarm

Guru
It's on commercial property. The owners are moving out and clearing up their mess I suspect, before they hand it over. It probably belonged to an employee of one of the companies that rented office space there years ago.

I'm undecided. Rockhoppers are what £800ish? So the frame alone is probably only £100. Put new wheels, chainset etc...ah maybe not worth the hassle.

Not worth the hassle. Let it go to the big bike bin in the sky. Buy new, you get a brand new bike with a WARRANTY.

Top Bottom