ABC discuss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Crossing a river is often a big moment on a ride. I imagine there is wide agreement on that. A while ago I suggested rivers as another possible A-Z subject, for which it would be nice if every river crossing were treated like this:

RiverAvon.JPG

Even if there isn't a sign of this type, many bridges, and other places where a road or trail comes close to a river are marked in some way. Often there's a commemorative plaque; here are a couple of nice examples:

Plaques.JPG

Although you'd hope that the name of the river would be important enough to mention in the text, sadly the priority often lies elsewhere!

Hereford_Hunderton2.JPG

Witney.JPG

In the absence of something formal, information notices put up by the Environment Agency and other bodies often feature the name of the river:

Environment.JPG

Even so, I don't think there are going to be enough of these to support an A-Z picture thread along traditional lines. One thing that might help would be to include the sort of signs we see all the time - where the river name is incorporated into the name of a village or town. The -on- or -upon- forms are the most obvious. In areas where I cycle regularly, here are some other examples which would probably qualify:
  • Highleadon, Upleadon, Ledbury (River Leadon, Gloucestershire/Hereforshire)
  • Bishop's Itchington, Long Itchington (River Itchen, Warwickshire)
  • Bishops Frome, Fromes Hill (River Frome, Herefordshire)
  • Abbey Dore, Dorstone (River Dore, Herefordshire)
However, on balance I think I'd prefer to stick to signs where the river has a primary mention. If there are too few of these for a sequential A-Z challenge, perhaps we could it a bit differently? The objective would be to collect as many letters as possible, but in any order.

Any thoughts?

Katherine

Guru
I was thinking about an ABC challenge for interesting features that you see whilst on bike ride.
It should make for quite a diverse mix of pictures.

I was thinking about this on my ride yesterday, but didn't actually stop and take a picture for A so if anyone else wants to, feel free.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
(Quoting @Dogtrousers from the Towns and Villages thread)
Going off topic a bit, how about "Your bike in a place that is mentioned in a song" ?Might be worth a thread, but it would be too much of a push to expect them to be in alphabetical order.
Should this be genuine references to a particular place (as in Streets of London), which would be quite difficult, or would any word match be OK? Near Stratford-upon-Avon there's a place called Broom, as in The Ballad of Green Broom, one of Benjamin Britten's Five Flower Songs, and probably many other songs. That would open things up quite a lot.

Or perhaps we could have an A to Z of your bike in front of a feature recalling a song title, such as a field of strawberries? That might belong in the "interesting Features" thread. The feature could be a place name, but not necessarily.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is there a thread about possible threads to discuss this? (Edit: duh we're in it)

I think "your bike in front of a place or thing named in a song" might have legs. I can think of a fair few, ranging from Abergavenny to Wye. (Although I'm not suggesting an alphabetical challenge) Suitably lax rules to be invented.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Is there a thread about possible threads to discuss this? (Edit: duh we're in it)

I think "your bike in front of a place or thing named in a song" might have legs. I can think of a fair few, ranging from Abergavenny to Wye. (Although I'm not suggesting an alphabetical challenge) Suitably lax rules to be invented.
Love the edit! I don't think it was there first time I looked, and I seriously wondered what point you were trying to make. :wacko:

For myself I definitely prefer to be looking for place names rather than more general things, and so far I haven't been able to get into the "interesting features" thread. You look for places on a map, very likely somewhere you haven't cycled to before, then figure out a way of getting there. A perfect combination, and it's transformed the way I go about conceiving and planning rides - for the better.

So I think I'll carry on plodding through A-Z towns and villages for as long as I'm riding, and using a theme seems like a good way of keeping it interesting. I suppose the first time round my theme was trying to do it in the fewest rides possible, and I'm happy with the namesakes idea this time. A couple more ideas might be names which are also everyday words, such as Ash, Broom, Cross, Deal, Eye, etc., and also names of a particular length, say 5 letters. I did actually start this one on Saturday. Running 2 themes concurrently? :unsure:

In Oxfordshire, and a horrible spot to be taking a photograph.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Really off topic but I had a themed ride of "number of trees" earlier this year. I managed 16: Four Elms, Five Oak Green, Sevenoaks. Then ran out of trees. Although I do know of a One Tree Hill but it's not really a good place to take a bike.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
What about place names that contain a colour? Just today I've been through a small village called Blackborough. And I also passed signs for Redball and Whiteball.

Wouldn't have to be done in alphabetical order and there could be a bonus point for each of the colours of the rainbow?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Would there be any appetite for relaunching A-Z place names in the new year as a forum game rather than an individual challenge?

The idea I have is to start with names of length 3*, run through the alphabet with those, then 4, and so on. Any which are deemed impossible can be by-passed by general agreement. The sequence ends at a village with a railway station on Anglesey.

As soon as someone's posted an A(3) - there are several places called Ash, there's Aby in Lincolnshire, and of course Ayr - we'd move on to B(3). Box and Bow seem the most likely for that one.

* Strictly speaking the sequence should start at Ae, which is a bit of an outlier in more ways than one. It would be a shame if the game can't get properly started for several weeks.

Top Bottom