Abdomen muscles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the ongoing (though I suspect futile) battle against the bulge I've been trying to find what exercises I can incorporate into my daily routine. I'm generally healthy and built relatively thin, but have a terrible posture and was cursed by a slight tubbyness since childhood. Up until now this wasn't obvious but I had inlaws commenting recently so I'd like to get it under control.

An obvious start is situps, and I've been trying to start gently with just 20. Now I expected some muscle stiffness -I've not used these muscles for a while, but how much do you just push through and how much should I take notice of this?

While I'm here, what other stomach training exercises could I try?

A six pack isn’t made in the gym, it’s made in the kitchen.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mine burst. Seems they aren't up to the job of 260lb blokes bouncing in them.

Standard sit ups and crunches are indeed iffy on the back. Fortunately, there's dozens of variations that aren't.

A six pack isn’t made in the gym, it’s made in the kitchen.

I do leg raises too, works the muscles lower down.

However, 90% of your gains will be through diet.

I've got the diet in hand as far as I can: I'm eating less, much less than before, and spacing it out better: a small breakfast followed by yoghurt and muesli at work, lunch at work and then a small evening meal. I have little control over lunch and it comes at about 2pm because I'm in a cafe, but the Müsli keeps me going until then and it means I eat less in the evening.

The exercises are as a backup and extra encouragement to my body to get its act together.

Drago

Legendary Member
Excellent, keep the diet going. That's the foundation of it all. Find some exercises that you can do comfortably and keep at it. Relentless discipline is the key. Itll improve your posture, your strwpentgth, your resistance to injury, reduce the incidence of osteoporisis, and slow or even reverse age related muscle atrophy, stimulate hormone production, and increase the blood flow to the area you're targeting, which in turn has a (very small) impact on fat loss.

I'm down to an oat protein bar for brekky, protein shakes throughout the day, poached eggs x 4 and wholemeal toast x 2 with marmite and no butter for lunch, and a regular (albeit carefully considered) evening meal in recent weeks. I've gone up 16lbs, but gone down a waist size, up a chest size, and the guns are bulging the arms of my shirts again.

pawl

Legendary Member
The elastic stretch bands are good They are available in various resistances Have a look on You tube for exercises.Good piece of kit as the exercises target all areas of the body

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The elastic stretch bands are good They are available in various resistances Have a look on You tube for exercises.Good piece of kit as the exercises target all areas of the body

You mean these? :okay:

adjustablewaistTITLE.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Standard sit ups and crunches are indeed iffy on the back. Fortunately, there's dozens of variations that aren't.
Instead of your archetypal 'sit-ups' try going from supine with knees bent at 90 degrees and hands on thighs, just up to hands on knees, and no further, and controlled return to the floor.
And stretching as suggested ^^^^, but gently does it, in each session.

CXRAndy

Guru
Try the plank, more a tension exercise, 1 minute should do for a start. If you want to see the stomach muscles, it is 90% diet.

Top Bottom