Abdomen muscles

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Andy in Germany, 11 Sep 2018.

1. In the ongoing (though I suspect futile) battle against the bulge I've been trying to find what exercises I can incorporate into my daily routine. I'm generally healthy and built relatively thin, but have a terrible posture and was cursed by a slight tubbyness since childhood. Up until now this wasn't obvious but I had inlaws commenting recently so I'd like to get it under control.

An obvious start is situps, and I've been trying to start gently with just 20. Now I expected some muscle stiffness -I've not used these muscles for a while, but how much do you just push through and how much should I take notice of this?

While I'm here, what other stomach training exercises could I try?

2. A six pack isn’t made in the gym, it’s made in the kitchen.

Heltor Chasca, si_c, mustang1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Drago

Drago Guru

I do leg raises too, works the muscles lower down.

However, 90% of your gains will be through diet.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  4. Andy in Germany likes this.
  5. Drago

Drago Guru

Mine burst. Seems they aren't up to the job of 260lb blokes bouncing in them.

Standard sit ups and crunches are indeed iffy on the back. Fortunately, there's dozens of variations that aren't.

6. OP
    OP
    Andy in Germany

Andy in Germany Über Member

I've got the diet in hand as far as I can: I'm eating less, much less than before, and spacing it out better: a small breakfast followed by yoghurt and muesli at work, lunch at work and then a small evening meal. I have little control over lunch and it comes at about 2pm because I'm in a cafe, but the Müsli keeps me going until then and it means I eat less in the evening.

The exercises are as a backup and extra encouragement to my body to get its act together.

Drago likes this.
  7. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

Pilates - good for core strength and also posture. Best to do it with a good teacher who will correct any mistakes you're making.

8. Drago

Drago Guru

Excellent, keep the diet going. That's the foundation of it all. Find some exercises that you can do comfortably and keep at it. Relentless discipline is the key. Itll improve your posture, your strwpentgth, your resistance to injury, reduce the incidence of osteoporisis, and slow or even reverse age related muscle atrophy, stimulate hormone production, and increase the blood flow to the area you're targeting, which in turn has a (very small) impact on fat loss.

I'm down to an oat protein bar for brekky, protein shakes throughout the day, poached eggs x 4 and wholemeal toast x 2 with marmite and no butter for lunch, and a regular (albeit carefully considered) evening meal in recent weeks. I've gone up 16lbs, but gone down a waist size, up a chest size, and the guns are bulging the arms of my shirts again.

9. pawl

pawl Veteran

The elastic stretch bands are good They are available in various resistances Have a look on You tube for exercises.Good piece of kit as the exercises target all areas of the body

Andy in Germany and Drago like this.
  10. PK99

PK99 Guru

11. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

You mean these? :okay:

adjustablewaistTITLE.jpg

Alan O, Stephenite, Drago and 3 others like this.
  12. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

Yoga as well, stretches and basic postures.

annedonnelly and Drago like this.
  13. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

Instead of your archetypal 'sit-ups' try going from supine with knees bent at 90 degrees and hands on thighs, just up to hands on knees, and no further, and controlled return to the floor.
    And stretching as suggested ^^^^, but gently does it, in each session.

Andy in Germany and Drago like this.
  14. CXRAndy

CXRAndy Veteran

Try the plank, more a tension exercise, 1 minute should do for a start. If you want to see the stomach muscles, it is 90% diet.

15. OP
    OP
    Andy in Germany

Andy in Germany Über Member

Will have to look that up.

M;uscles not required, just want to nip the Hobbit look in the bud before it really takes off over the next years...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice