Aberystwyth to Dinorwic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was thinking of doing a bit of cycling through Wales in May, starting at Aberystwyth and visiting the stored hyrdoelectricity plants at Ffestiniog and Dinorwic. What's it like getting your bike on the train to Aberystwyth from Birmingham International. Also, what is the A487 and A470 like for cycling along?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The A487 and the A470 are both good roads. However, the A470 is the main road from the south to north Wales, and can be rather busy., at certain times.

subaqua

What’s the point
bear in mind the hydro station called Dinorwig ( electric Mountain) is not in Y Felinheli ( port dinorwic) and neither is it in Dinorwig . the visitor centre is in Llanberis by the Lake.

arriva trains walesu yo generally turn up and go , as I have in the past- takes your chances though. you can book a space by calling the customer service centre. it takes about a million hours (3.5 really ) to go from Brum to Aber on the train though.

enjoy as its stunning riding . as above be careful as the smaller roads are populated by nutters this time of the year and its bad enough in the car.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I came back from Wales on Saturday night, having cycled most the way there and much of the way back.
Here is a picture of the reservoir and power station at Ffestiniog.

P1060928.JPG

Blimey, that was a tough climb!

Here is a picture of the reservoir at Dinorwig power station. Note the tunnel. The Electric Mountain tour was worth the money.

P1060940.JPG

subaqua

What’s the point
Tag me in them too then so i see em. havent been to Wales since Easter and although I hate where I grew up the rest of N and Mid Wales is not bad

Top Bottom