About to go Clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have been considering this for a while... but nearing the point of plucking up the courage to actually do it... I've tried on some shoes and I am currently considering either: Specialized Sonoma Shoes or Specialized Taho Mountain Shoes.
Now the guy in the shop (not my normal cycle shop as they don't have any shoes in stock) has said that if I want the option to cycle in my normal shoes (I'm a girly and like to ring the changes:biggrin: or just to nip to school to pick up the kids) then there is only one pedal:
Shimano PD-M324
Which he didn't have in stock but is going to order. Is that correct?

Is it going to be harder clipping in these ones as the clip is only going to be on one side ... which will presumably hang down and have to be flipped up.

Being on a non-technical mind... how much will the shop do with regards setting up the pedal/shoe and how much will I have to do myself?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Clipless pedals are weighted so that they hang business side up as the pedal is on it's way down. Once you get the hang of them they are easy, you would never go back to toe-clips and straps.

I have the M324 on a bike and find them ideal - SPD cleats or 'normal' shoes with equal ease.

If you have the shoes, bike and pedals at the shop at the same time then they should be ready to fit the cleats and set them up for you.

May also be worth looking at the Shimano A530 if you prefer something a bit lighter looking than the M324. I have A520 on a road bike - would have had A530 if I'd seen it first.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I am not worried about what they weigh ... I would need to sort my pannier out first if I was worried about that ... they is usually books, notepad etc in it.
I think I can't use either of those pedals as I haven't choosen road shoes, instead prefering the more casual look of the MTB shoes. I must admit the choice of pedals look much nicer for road shoes though.

Both of the Shaimano pedals are for SPD clipless - generally used for MTB/Trainer style casual cycling shoes and for touring & leisure. Some examples are Shimano FN20 , MT40 , Pearl Izumi Groove , or another 4 pages of that type of shoe from EvansCycles .

Maybe you need to speak with your bike shop again and get them to explain the different types of clipless pedal and the type of shoe that caters for the vaious cleats. Then explain the type of cycling that you intend to do and be advised by them>

Sorry, I reread your earlier post and you have already looked at SPD compatible shoes. The ones you are considering will all work with the 3 pedals I mentioned. The A530 is functionally the same as the M324 but in a slimmer style.

yenrod

Just get a pair of shoes you like the look of THEN buy Time ie these:...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360022277&n=Time Time Atac Alium Pedals

= HAPPY !

End of', Nuff said', laughin' ! ;)

summerdays said:
I have been considering this for a while... but nearing the point of plucking up the courage to actually do it... I've tried on some shoes and I am currently considering either: Specialized Sonoma Shoes or Specialized Taho Mountain Shoes.
Now the guy in the shop (not my normal cycle shop as they don't have any shoes in stock) has said that if I want the option to cycle in my normal shoes (I'm a girly and like to ring the changes:biggrin: or just to nip to school to pick up the kids) then there is only one pedal:
Shimano PD-M324
Which he didn't have in stock but is going to order. Is that correct?

Is it going to be harder clipping in these ones as the clip is only going to be on one side ... which will presumably hang down and have to be flipped up.

Being on a non-technical mind... how much will the shop do with regards setting up the pedal/shoe and how much will I have to do myself?

Lefire

You can get these things that clip over the SPD pedals that then make the top section flat which means you can wear 'normal' shoes.

My wife has a set of these on her mountain bike.
Unfortunately I don't know what they are called.

Emu

I've had the M324s for about a month. Initially I found them awkward and I had to remind myself why I bought them - other people ride my bike. But I'm now used to them and generally I have no problem. The only time they fall so the flat is facing up is if my shin knocks them after release or if catch it with my foot when lifting a foot back to the pedal. It's rare that either happens though. All I can say is that I wish there was an equivalent folding pedal that I could put on my Brompton, which is also ridden by my son and husband, as I now find it strange riding with just a flat pedal.

barq

I think the M324s are a pretty good commuter pedal too. It doesn't take long before you instinctively flip them the correct way up for the shoes you are wearing - and even when you get it wrong it's hardly the end of the world as you can still pedal a few strokes on the wrong side (it just feels funny).

Getting it all from an LBS the first time is a good decision because they'll get you set up pretty much right. Ok, you might have to adjust the cleat position slightly but they'll probably get you somewhere in the right ballpark which is a big help.

Good luck. ;)

Top Bottom