Absolute beginner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Hi. I'm after some advice being an absolute beginner. My hubby has just taken up road biking and has treated himself to a rather lovely cannondale which I have been coveting since he brought it home. I've decided I would like to give it a go and am looking at around the £300 mark. Hubby recommends the decathlon triban 3 but thought I would get a few comparisons to look at. This might be a stupid question but...do I need to look for a dedicated female bike? Any advice and recommendations will be very gratefully received!! :-)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Depends on your shape (as in relative length of arms/legs/torso - rather than - ahem - "width" ) as to whether a women's specific frame will suit you better.

Cyclist33

No idea what the Triban 3 is like for a woman but all I can suggest is go try one out. Everyone here says they're the best by miles for that money!

Stu

Maylian

Veteran
Like many suggest the only real thing I can say is give it a go to get a feel for it. I see a few female cyclists on the roads and most of them seem to be on generic "unisex" bikes rather than dedicated female ones.

sidevalve

Über Member
Best thing to do would be to pop along to a bike shop or three [don't ignore Halfords either, some are good some bad but they do have a lot of bikes to sit on] and have a few test rides. Remember look for a bike that suits and fits YOU.

OP
OP
hobbitonabike

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Thanks for all the advice. I think my main issue will be the reach from sear to handlebars with my short back and arms. Shame I can't try the t3 as nowhere near a decathlon. Hmmm...try a few different bikes and have a think is my next move.

Top Bottom