Absolute black oval chairing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

I am considering putting a 34 oval ring on the front chainset of road bike
I currently have a compact 50-34 and would change the inner to a 34 oval
The questions is on compatibility with the front shimano mech
I am aware that shimano are libreable in thete components and state the mech capacity will only allow a 17 tooth drop
I guess the ovalaity of the ring will mean this drop will change ever so slightly when the oval part is at its smallest diameter ( greater drop )
Am I getting over concerned or will it be fine
PS whilst we are on the subject would a 32 oval be ok with the front mech capacity
Thanks all

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My son runs Absolute Black 52/36 ovals, rather than 50/34, on a Shimano set-up.

No change needed other than raising the front mech slightly.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think the OP asking whether its OK to run one oval and one round chainring? (presumably as an experiment to see if it helps with climbing hence inner ring only???)

I doubt anyone else has tested that, so maybe do it @Lookrider and report back.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I run 50/34 Absolute Black with Ultegra. I don't know if it's possible with only the inner ring. On both it works very well for me.

To my surprise I've found the benefits on flat and rolling rides are far greater than when climbing. I'm able to spin better at higher speeds across a range of gears than on a standard chain ring. When climbing it does remove that hard push over the top but that's all.

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

My son runs Absolute Black 52/36 ovals, rather than 50/34, on a Shimano set-up.

No change needed other than raising the front mech slightly.

yes ...thank for that
The( inner) chain will catch the mech as the rotational oval circumference goes up- down

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

I think the OP asking whether its OK to run one oval and one round chainring? (presumably as an experiment to see if it helps with climbing hence inner ring only???)

I doubt anyone else has tested that, so maybe do it @Lookrider and report back.

Yes one round one oval

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

I've run a 34 T AB oval inner with a 50T a standard outer without any problems. This was with an Ultegra R8000 front mech, shifting was no different to the standard inner. The only problem I found was the AB inner seemed to wear out rather quickly.

Was the riding easier or the same as a round inner

wonderloaf

Veteran
I found it a bit easier on the hills, it seemed to even out the effort, if you get my drift. I only removed the chain ring because it stared getting noisy.

Top Bottom