Absolute cheapest roadbike thats not crap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Going from the recent C+ magazine I seem to recall the carerra virtuoso is a compact where as the airlite 200 and dawes are doubles so this is worth considering if you have any hills on your route or if you intend to go out for weekend rides etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi sswats...
There are some good sturdy reliable bikes to be had without spending a fortune.
I'm not going to recommend anything particular, but dont be too put off by some bikes weighing a bit more.
Theres precious little difference in the time it takes for me to do my 40 mile circuit on my old Raleigh Chimera with a chromo frame...and my much lighter Bianchi. Yes, the better bike is better, lighter, more responsive, more pleasurable to own...but my budget Raleigh did me commendably for 3 years

What is scary is the price hikes we've seen over the last 6 months or so. My Bianchi 1 year ago...£599. Same bike now...£750 :biggrin:

nuovo_record

my friend bought a peugeot racer from e**y for £80, had a stronglight cranks, shimano 105 mech...he is loving it - normal ride is a MTB.....
the bike itself was really looked after too, hardly a mark on it. so before you decide "new", i'd consider "old"

grhm

Veteran
sswats said:
How do i know if a roadbike takes a rack and/or mudguard?

Might be teaching you to suck eggs, but...

A rack attachs to the frame by the rear axle and near the top of the seat stays, near to or on the brake bridge. If the spec doesn't stay it takes a rack (and they quite often don't mention it) you need to look for the mounting points yourself. I think the mounting points are referred to as bosses (but not sure, someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

As for taking guards, AIUI its all to do with clearance between the frame/brake bridge and the tyre. If there's not enough room you won't be able to get full guards in. The guards also attach to bosses near the rear axle - so for rack and guards you might be looking for two screw holes by the read axle (at least my hybred has two).

I however do not own a road bike (merely want, but can't afford, one). So the above is my understanding and may not be entirely correct.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
4F said:
Going from the recent C+ magazine I seem to recall the carerra virtuoso is a compact where as the airlite 200 and dawes are doubles so this is worth considering if you have any hills on your route or if you intend to go out for weekend rides etc.
.... and the Carrera was the 'pick of the bunch' too, for a number of reasons, that being one of them. :biggrin:

Worth getting hold of a copy of the C+ article.

4F

scoosh said:
.... and the Carrera was the 'pick of the bunch' too, for a number of reasons, that being one of them. :biggrin:

Worth getting hold of a copy of the C+ article.

I think that was the number 1 reason.

4F

willem said:
How about getting better road tyres?
Willem

That is a fair shout and what I did when I started. Changing from 26 x 1.95 to a set of 26 x 1.30 made a big difference however changing to a road bike made a greater difference and my cycling has been made more enjoyable since.

I also went 2nd hand and picked up a couple of bargins.

OP
OP
S

sswats

I've already put some schwalbe slicks on. Improved things a lot, but want more.

Just visited local Evans and they have interest free credit for a year for bikes over £500 (2yrs for over a £1000). And the guy there spent all his time telling me how crap those cheap bikes are. He was really pushing the the pinnacle sentinel at £650 but that's way too much.
So i think I'm just going to get a Trek 1.2 double for £550 and pay it off a bit at a time so my wife doesn't notice the lump of change missing. :blush:

sswats said:
I've already put some schwalbe slicks on. Improved things a lot, but want more.

Just visited local Evans and they have interest free credit for a year for bikes over £500 (2yrs for over a £1000). And the guy there spent all his time telling me how crap those cheap bikes are. He was really pushing the the pinnacle sentinel at £650 but that's way too much.
So i think I'm just going to get a Trek 1.2 double for £550 and pay it off a bit at a time so my wife doesn't notice the lump of change missing. :birthday:

Nah don't buy a bike on credit. Too high a liklehood of it getting stolen.

Can you not just cope for a while on your roadified-MTB until you get a bit more cash? What type of MTB is it?

In your position, unless the existing bike was to heavy, I would:
- get some new wheels build with smooth rolling hubs, lighter weight narrower rims and then fit narrower road tyres
- rationalise the number of gears
- switch to a single chain ring at the front, get rid of the front shifter. Probably have to keep the front derailleur as a chain guide.
OR

- on a flat commute fit a single speed converstion

- fit bar ends if the bike doesn't already have them
- fit clip on tri-bars - just as good as drops when stuck in a headwind

Entry level road bikes often have rubbish wheels. Saving weight at the rim (rotational mass) is said to be more significant than saving weight anywhere else.

You can easily turn what you have into something lighter and responsive and at the end of the day, it will be far less appealing to a thief and make you look like you are a serious cyclist(TM) too. Not that appearances matter much.

OP
OP
S

sswats

Its a £200 mountain bike. Spending what sounds like an extra £200 or more on it doesn't make sense to me when it still wont be as good a road bike. and probably still likely to get stolen.
plus what difference does paying on credit or paying up front make when your bike gets stolen. you still lose the money.
as i said, at home i lock it in the shed, at work i carry it down to the basement, only times i leave it locked up are when i jump into a shop for a few minutes.

and unfortunately i'm self employed so no cycle to work scheme for me.

I'm still undecided tho, but the Trek is sounding most appealing.

Top Bottom