Absolutely random photo of anything thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was out for a walk in the woods and came across this lovely "flower". Chicken of the Woods if I'm not mistaken (though didn't try it to find out). For scale, it's about 30cm across.

View attachment 543208
Chicken of the wood grows on trees normally at the base of oak. Although I have seen it on many trees.
As it looks like its growing on the ground I would go for Meripilus Giganteus . Base of living trees and some way off attached to the roots, big fan of beech. Lucky you terrible year so far for fungi here. Last year was the best year for 15 years.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
So that is Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker, at Wheelworks in Belmont (a fairly well to do suburb of Boston), Massachusetts. Strange random photo! See https://www.masslive.com/galleries/4ZDBBNFNTRD7FJFP3UF7PL75Q4/ From what I'd heard, most bike stores in this area are completely out of entry to mid level bikes, so I wonder how many bikes Wheelworks has left, though it looks like plenty in the photo.

OP
OP
Nigeyy

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I looked up Meripilus Giganteus, but got to say I thought it looked more like Chicken of the Woods e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laetiporus#/media/File:Laetiporus_cincinnatus_14060.jpg

For full disclosure this was growing at the base of a tree that you can't see from the photo. I'll keep an eye out, but haven't seen it again. Mind you did see a big black Eastern Black Racer snake recently, but it was too fast to get a photo. Biggest snake I've seen in the wild, I think it was a couple of metres long and really thick! Not knowing what it was, I kept very far away from where I saw it!

Chicken of the wood grows on trees normally at the base of oak. Although I have seen it on many trees.
As it looks like its growing on the ground I would go for Meripilus Giganteus . Base of living trees and some way off attached to the roots, big fan of beech. Lucky you terrible year so far for fungi here. Last year was the best year for 15 years.

So that is Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker, at Wheelworks in Belmont (a fairly well to do suburb of Boston), Massachusetts. Strange random photo! See https://www.masslive.com/galleries/4ZDBBNFNTRD7FJFP3UF7PL75Q4/ From what I'd heard, most bike stores in this area are completely out of entry to mid level bikes, so I wonder how many bikes Wheelworks has left, though it looks like plenty in the photo.
Hi Nigeyy, never seen a governer in a bike shop before....it was on CNN. Good job he isn't black otherwise police may have shot him for nicking bikes.

tyred

Legendary Member

Old jon

Guru
Oh 'eck, I had forgotten this thread

Glorious Yellow.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Below are two pics i took of a local bus shelter,demolished around 10 days ago. According to reports a stolen transit type van full of tools ran into it as the thieves fled the scene.Thankfully it was around 4am when buses aren't running.That'll be about the 7th time in 30 odd years i can remember it happening. The last time being about 8 months ago when the lamp post just out of shot was hit,causing the lamp itself to fall off.On the odd occasion i catch a bus at that stop i always stand about 20 yards up the road,then walk to the shelter when i can see the bus coming.😏

1600732534857.png

1600732817338.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom