Absolutely random photo of anything thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gwylan

Veteran
Epiphany cake, wot I made

Attachments

• IMG_20230107_181909627.jpg
    IMG_20230107_181909627.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 2

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some very old photos of my grandad who died 50 years ago today. I couldn't let the day go by without mentioning it. The top one is of him with my mother in the early 1940's. The second is of him with me (sat on his knee), my brother and our mum on Blackpool beach in the mid 1960's and the bottom photo' is of him with my grandma and mother at Blackpool in the mid 1950's.

nc_ohc=gMO-ntQMMBAAX9UqBbo&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=xIR9OSYgfNwAX-XzkAe&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

nc_ohc=l4C5C16iF30AX_MrkC0&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

Last edited:

colly

Re member eR
I was in Otley today and came across this monument to the men who died while constructing The Bramhope Tunnel which is just up the road about 2 miles away. It took from 1845 to 1849 to build and cost the lives of 24 men. The monument is built to resemble the northern entrance to the tunnel.
There are better images on the net but these are the ones I took today:

20230119_154226.jpg

20230119_154148.jpg

An old image of the tunnel entrance I found on the net:
bramhope tunnel as was.jpg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Does anybody else remember home tapping?

View attachment 679402

I remember recording Sunday evening's Top Of The Pops, presented by Alan Freeman on Radio One in the early 1970's on one of these.

s-l300.jpg

I didn't have a plug into radio and recorder lead at first. That came later. I just put the recorder next to the radio and taped it, then listened to the mono, hissy sound tape underneath my bed covers that night, taking what seemed like ages to go back and find certain 'records'. Imagine 10, 11, 12, 13 year olds now accepting such 'quality sound'. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
HMS Warspite (03) - Queen Elizabeth Class Battleship. Grand Old Lady.

A ship, A battleship, A ship for war...

HMS Warspite Launched in 1915
HMS Warspite launched.jpg

The Grand Old Lady fought valiantly in 2 World Wars. Survived 150 direct hits in 1916 at Jutland before she was fully combat ready. Tried to ram a Uboat while damaged and who tried to sink her with 3 torpedoes. She was Bombed, Mined, Rammed and even struck by a guided missile. Still she floats.

Even when the time came to retire, she did not want to leave service on anybody else's terms. After leaving Portsmouth for the Clyde for scrapping in 1947 after having guns removed, A storm caused her to break free from her tug and eventually run aground and stuck fast in Prussia Cove.

Prussia Cove.jpg

After two world wars, Battered and bruised, i think this would be a nice place to retire, wouldn't you agree?

After years of various failed attempts to refloat her, she refused to be budged.

HMS Warspite slipped her tow 2.jpg

HMS warspite broken free from tug.jpg

Eventually deciding that she was never going to go to the Clyde, it seemed fitting that a ship of the Warspites service should decide for itself where its final resting place should be and so was slowly dismantled where she lay.

HMS Warspite cut up.jpg

Must have been quite the sight.

To many HMS Warspite is a tool of war and that is all and really it is. But to me it defined an era for this country during this time. Resilience, grit, defiance and determination. I think it is absolutely criminal that it wasn't turned into a museum ship, despite this countries financial woes post-war, this is one Battleship that should have survived IMO.

Top Bottom