Abused for riding 'two abreast'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Got yelled at (with many swear words as the bloke came alongside and stayed there) for riding two abreast this morning. Now, there are three things wrong with that.

Firstly, you're perfectly entitled to ride two abreast and not only that its often a safer way of riding; the highway code says that you shouldn't ride three or more abreast, but its perfectly appropriate to ride two abreast. If there is plenty of room on the road on the other side then theres no chance of holding anyone up, or if its appropriate to take primary (it normally is) then the space taken up by two cyclists abreast is exactly the same as one in an assertive position. Cyclecraft gives excellent advice on how and why.

Secondly, its just pointlessly aggressive and a waste of time. Like, why shout that when theres a red light anywhere on your route, or, worse, if there are loads of red lights? My presence on the road makes no difference to your journey time, that time being entirely regulated (like mine is) by the presence and timing of the lights.

Thirdly, and this is the biggie, I was cycling on my own, and there were no other cyclists on that stretch of road at the time of the abuse. You can see two cyclists? Seek help, really, go to a doctor, go to an opticians, go to a psychiatrist, but whoever you see for help, get the hell of the road right now until you sort it out. If I see you on the road again, and you behave like you're seeing double again, I'm going to break your car to stop you killing someone, because if someone doesn't then thats going to happen.

Notsoblue

ROFL, thats hilarious! So he accused you of cycling next to someone who wasn't there?

redjedi

Über Member
Perhaps they said "stop riding!, I've got 2 breasts".
Just in case your biology class at school was below standard, and they were trying to further your education.

Next time they see you, you may get the next lesson.
"Stop riding! In your teens you will grow hair on your genitals and your voice will change!".

Perhaps it's a new way to educate all the youths who bunk off school?

dodgy

More likely he witnessed someone else riding abreast and automatically assumed that all cyclists do it all the time, the same way that motorists are convinced we all ride on the paths and all ride through red lights.

Dave.

PBancroft

I wonder if it was a jest, meant to confuse. I've had someone shout out "Oi mate - Your wheels are going round!" which I'm fairly sure had the intended impact of making me get off and check.

Either that or he was extra thick and thought that you were too far out, effectively riding two abreast without the extra person (completely misunderstanding what it means).

Arch

Married to Night Train
Notsoblue said:
ROFL, thats hilarious! So he accused you of cycling next to someone who wasn't there?

Perhaps cab should have stopped and turned to the phantom cyclist and started having a long conversation with him (her?) about what a dick this bloke was...:ohmy:

redjedi said:
Perhaps they said "stop riding!, I've got 2 breasts".
Just in case your biology class at school was below standard, and they were trying to further your education.

Next time they see you, you may get the next lesson.
"Stop riding! In your teens you will grow hair on your genitals and your voice will change!".

Perhaps it's a new way to educate all the youths who bunk off school?

Nice one :smile:

Chris James

Über Member
Cab said:
Got yelled at (with many swear words as the bloke came alongside and stayed there) for riding two abreast this morning. Now, there are three things wrong with that.

Firstly, you're perfectly entitled to ride two abreast and not only that its often a safer way of riding; the highway code says that you shouldn't ride three or more abreast, but its perfectly appropriate to ride two abreast. If there is plenty of room on the road on the other side then theres no chance of holding anyone up, or if its appropriate to take primary (it normally is) then the space taken up by two cyclists abreast is exactly the same as one in an assertive position. Cyclecraft gives excellent advice on how and why.

Did you manage to get all that out in between the driver calling you an effing w@nker?:smile:

For some reason two abreast acts as a red reg to some drivers, even when it doesn't inconvenience them at all.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Chris James said:
Did you manage to get all that out in between the driver calling you an effing w@nker?:smile:

For some reason two abreast acts as a red reg to some drivers, even when it doesn't inconvenience them at all.

I didn't say much at all to him to be honest. Didn't seem worth it, and besides, when someone says something that stupid its hard to know what to say.

And yes, for some reason two cyclists taking up no more space than one assertive rider will really wind some motorists up. Quite a sizeable minority of motorists get really very bothered by this, IMHO. But even so, I'd normally expect them to wait to encounter cyclists behaving like that before losing their rag. Ain't rational, they simply percieve this as being antisocial behaviour from the cyclists, largely because they don't know anything about cycling :sad:

Chris James

Über Member
Cab said:
I didn't say much at all to him to be honest. Didn't seem worth it, and besides, when someone says something that stupid its hard to know what to say.

My post comes in the stupid categorty too as I posted my reply before finishing your post! I hadn't realised you were on your own until later.:smile:

I can rarely tell what exact abiuse drivers shout at me anyway as they are usually off past you before you get chance to catch them and 'discuss' it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm sure that carrying a copy of the highway code and chucking it at these fools is the best way forward. Followed by read this, I'm sure you haven't read it before. Always assuming that they can read in the first place.

Top Bottom