Acceleration wheelies. Dangerous?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I ride a mountain bike with 24 gears and I really love switching through the gears quickly and accelerating fast from standing, especially at traffic lights. Trouble is I keep doing wheelies whenever I do it. They're not huge wheelies but I can see the problem getting worse.

Any tips on practicing wheelies so if they do start to get too big I'm able to control them? I guess the best thing to do is to just accelerate slowly but I find quick acceleration is useful to gain confidence at junctions.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I ride a mountain bike with 24 gears and I really love switching through the gears quickly and accelerating fast from standing, especially at traffic lights. Trouble is I keep doing wheelies whenever I do it. They're not huge wheelies but I can see the problem getting worse.

Any tips on practicing wheelies so if they do start to get too big I'm able to control them? I guess the best thing to do is to just accelerate slowly but I find quick acceleration is useful to gain confidence at junctions.

it might be argued that any wheelie is a loss of control of a vehicle. I'd keep both wheels on the road to avoid the attention of Mr Plod.

Langster

it might be argued that any wheelie is a loss of control of a vehicle. I'd keep both wheels on the road to avoid the attention of Mr Plod.

just keep two fingers over the rear brake lever and if you feel yourself coming up too high lightly touch the brake to bring the front down

bonk man

I like feeling the front wheel lifting off on the track [ velodrome ] , you know you are putting the power down and trying to bust the bike in half :smile: trouble is I cannot keep it up long enough to win anything :whistle::biggrin:

Top Bottom