Accept All Cookies Banner - How EU with its GDPR hanged itself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What stated with good intentions to ensure privacy is now basically a ball-ups. A real nuisance.

Who the hell has the time to read a website's cookie policy, let alone configure cookies. The end result is "Accept All Cookies". The smart ones think that not making a choice avoids the issues.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
People who read the small print are few and far between!
Personally, I use Duckduckgo browser, accept all the cookies, the burn them all when I shut the browser down.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
What stated with good intentions to ensure privacy is now basically a ball-ups. A real nuisance.

Who the hell has the time to read a website's cookie policy, let alone configure cookies. The end result is "Accept All Cookies". The smart ones think that not making a choice avoids the issues.

I never accept all cookies having seen how many hundreds of companies harvest your data.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I'm not very computer literate. What I don't get is when I log onto a site and "accept all cookies", the next time I log on, I get asked the same question. Are they being deleted when I log off the first time?

Cirrus

Veteran
Have noticed another choice has been added "Legitimate Interest", which at first glance give very similar options to the cookies choices.

si_c

Guru
Accept functional cookies and turn off all others unless there is a reject all. I consider it a step in the right direction - the next step being to forbid any tracking of any sort and to require people to opt in to cookies instead of opt out.

Have noticed another choice has been added "Legitimate Interest", which at first glance give very similar options to the cookies choices.
It's amazing to me that they think THEY get to decide what constitutes "legitimate" interest.

At least we get to see who is tracking us, although I don't trust most of them to honour the request.
Large swathes of the web are almost entirely unfit for purpose these days unless you're running ad and tracking blockers.

And a lot of cookie popups use what are called "dark patterns" to make it really easy to agree to everything while also making it a major faff to opt out.

From the perspective of anyone annoyed about the 'Accept cookies' banners, rather than about allowing cookies in the first place, there is an excellent extension called 'I don't care about cookies', available for, so far as I can see, all major browsers. It almost invariably removes the very annoying banners, so especially useful if you usually either browse 'anonymously' or clear cookies on exiting the browser.

From the perspective of anyone annoyed about the 'Accept cookies' banners, rather than about allowing cookies in the first place, there is an excellent extension called 'I don't care about cookies', available for, so far as I can see, all major browsers. It almost invariably removes the very annoying banners, so especially useful if you usually either browse 'anonymously' or clear cookies on exiting the browser.
Thank you.
I've just downloaded that to Firefox, and tried Wiggle. I got straight through. Result.

Top Bottom