Access Law, Public Paths and Bikes

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Reiver, 10 May 2010.

1. Reiver

Reiver Ribbit, Ribbit.

Yesterday I slipped over the Border into Northumberland, now when south of the border I am always quite careful about where I go as english landowners always seem to go on a bits strange, and this one was certainly no exception.

Yesterdays ride was about 30 miles 3 of which involved using public paths, both shown on the OS map as a right of way. I quite often travel this way its nice to get off the bike and walk a bit.

The second path which was mostly a farm track and completely unsuitable for my road bike so I was walking and pushing the bike. I was stopped by the farmer / landowner who had driven down the track in his land rover to catch me up. I was told I had to go back as this was a path and no bikes were allowed, I thought he joking at first, but he wasn't he even got quite threatening. I told him he was being ridiculous suggested he call the ploice and carried on my way.

Now looking at the English law he may of had a point, it would appear that bikes are allowed on Bridleways but not on paths. However the law seems to apply to riding a bike. Does anyone know if the law applies to someone who is walking and pushing a bike.

So my question is, technically was I in the right or wrong?

2. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

I think walking with a bike on a footpath is perfectly legal.

3. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Agreed, farmer Giles was being a tosspot

4. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

Perfectly legal, just as it is to push your bike along a pavement. The only thing that could have made a difference would have been if it was a permissive path (orange dotted line on 1:25k maps) where the landowner has given permission so could theoretically also withdraw it.

Farmer just being stupid imho

5. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

As has been said, he was wrong. But he may well have assumed that you had been riding at and would get back on as soon as his back was turned.

6. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Walking with a bike along a public footpath is entirely legal. Farmer Giles was being an idiotic tosspot.

7. Theseus

Theseus .

Glad to see that someone is keeping the old traditions going.

8. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Farmer Giles was trying it on. You are allowed to do it, a lot of them don't like it and will put up unofficial signs that have no legal status or do tricks like padlocking gates and things illegally to discourage bikes/people. If he was being threatening I suggest getting in touch with the people who are in charge of the definitive map in that area and report him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice