Accessories for a newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul__w

Regular
So after months of waiting during lockdown, I pick up my Boardman HYB 8.6 on Monday ^_^

My next task is to see what accessories are musta and what’s the best brands and prices for quality.

I know I’ll need a helmet, pump etc but as a newbie to cycling and not wanting to spend a fortune, can anyone guide me in the right direction of the neccsssities and those at good prices but also good quality?

TIA!

DSK

It would help to describe how you intend to use the bike as that will help with suggestions.

I would say decent front/rear lights, USB rechargeable. Cateye do some great low profile lights (its their reflectors that make them small but high performance).

GPS cycle computer. Its nice to know your speed and track distance etc.

Saddle bag - fill it with a spare inner tube or puncture repair kit and tyre levers as a start.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is this a commuter?
Mudguards. Pannier rack?
Track pump for home, mini pump to put on frame, good D lock if leaving anywhere
Helmet, try them on, choose one that fits and is comfortable
Mitts for your hands
Possibly padded shorts or undies for your backside
If the bike has round grips, get some ergo ones, way more comfortable, something like an Ergon with bar ends even better

brand wise, I’d avoid Muddyfox from Sports Direct

OP
OP
P

paul__w

Regular
Thanks for the info.

Should have said it’s main use will be for casual riding on roads and trails. Plan to build up to some quite long trails so certainly the tubes and repair kit will be needed.

Is there a suggestion of any helmet brand?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info.

Should have said it’s main use will be for casual riding on roads and trails. Plan to build up to some quite long trails so certainly the tubes and repair kit will be needed.

Is there a suggestion of any helmet brand?
One that fits :okay:
I tried about 15 before finding a couple that are comfortable for me!

DSK

As for helmets, try to get to a local store such as Evans Cycles etc. Try some on and go from there.

I went into Evans as I have an XS head size nothing would fit, even fully tightened unless I fancied a proper kiddies one, what a laugh we all had at my expense that day! I ended up getting a nifty xtra small adult BELL helmet in an online sale and its lovely.

DSK

I'd also look at swapping out the original tyres for some with a puncture resistant feature.

Hudson1984

Über Member
tyre levers - unless you get used to doing it without them (HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend you do, made life so much easier)
spare tubes - I don't bother with a repair kit, takes too long and would rather do it in the garage when I get home, spare tubes for the ride, repair for hom
panniers will depend on what you're doing and distance etc. I like Topeak stuff but wouldn't say it's "best"

I have a pump on the frame again topeak and a joe blow track pump at home

I have two bottles, one serves as toolbox, the other for drinks

I like altura clothing - mainly because it fits me :smile: but it's decent quality at a decent price so I always use it over anything else.

Jody

Stubborn git
Don't forget a multi tool, spare gear/brake cable and a split link if you are planning on travelling a distance from home.

If there's a Decathlon nearby, worthwhile looking at their stuff. It gets good rap from the bods on here, though the sizing for clothes can be a bit weird so you'll need to try things on. Their luggage is good for what it is, and they have a comprehensive range of spares and consumables at competitive prices.

Helmet. Whatever fits best is the one that you should get.

Tools is one area where you shouldn't skimp. Topeak multitools and pumps are popular on here for a good reason.

Two things you should get for yourself at the outset are gloves to protect your palms should you have an unscheduled dismount, and glasses to keep flies, dirt and wind out of your eyes. Decathlon mitts are good, so are their clear cycling glasses.

For the bike, a saddle bag or bar bag to keep a spare tube, puncture repair kit and / or self adhesive patches, tyre levers, quick link for the chain and multitool. And do learn how to use them. :smile:

Ordinary sports / leisure clothing should do for now, just make sure that the fabric is one that wicks away sweat otherwise you'll get very icky very quickly. Also, assuming you'll be riding on flat pedals, a decent pair of lightweight hiking shoes will do for footwear.

As for the rest, keep your powder dry at this stage. Buy stuff when you realise you have a need for things rather than splurging on bits that will simply sit there gathering dust.

Top Bottom