Accessories for a Carrera Crossfire 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milena

Let's start with mudguards.

My cycle has front suspension. I live in the United Kingdom in a small town called Whitstable. Sometimes I'll cycle to Canterbury and lock my bike up there. Haven't done it yet as I don't have the security accessories yet.

I ride for fun and supermarket shopping.

I ride gravel, rarely a bit of mud, and road or asphalt whatever it's called that cycle paths are made of.

Some quick research shows me this

https://www.tweekscycles.com/rrp-proguard-v2-front-mudguard-2016021/

mudguard is the best for front suspension. Will this fit and work on my cycle?

I want full maximum coverage. I also need a rear one.
I don't want people behind me getting sprayed.

I want a pannier rack. Don't know where to start. Some have spring mechanisms, others don't. Don't know anything about cycles really.

I need bike lights.

I need a way to transport bulky items like a large bucket for example.

I need to transport groceries. I buy big items sometimes like the biggest bag of pasta that's like 5kg or something. So it needs to be able to transport bigger grocery loads not little ones that's like a days worth of food.

Need somewhere to store my locks. I have a d lock kryptonite std gold secure, and I'm planning on buying a cable lock maybe. Both tyre's come as standard with quick release.
Is it worth buying hexlox magnetic ones? They cost about £100.

My bike is worth £400. Well that's how much I paid for it in June this year.

Or should I get a chain lock or a cable lock instead to secure the front wheel?

I need a kick stand.

Waterproof case for my phone that will still let me operate it normally and a way to mount it to the handlebars.

Puncture repair kit and or spare inner tubes.

Water bottles.

Helmet.

Waterproof clothing.

Maybe a front detachable basket?

Collared comfy ergonomic grips so they don't rotate, as the ones that come as standard rotate while cycling, causing tendinitus in my wrists for 3+ months.

A decent bell. The one that comes as standard is garbage.

Cleaning kit. Lube. What needs lubricating on a bike other than the chain?

Thanks

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Let's start with mudguards.

My cycle has front suspension. I live in the United Kingdom in a small town called Whitstable. Sometimes I'll cycle to Canterbury and lock my bike up there. Haven't done it yet as I don't have the security accessories yet.

I ride for fun and supermarket shopping.

I ride gravel, rarely a bit of mud, and road or asphalt whatever it's called that cycle paths are made of.

Some quick research shows me this

https://www.tweekscycles.com/rrp-proguard-v2-front-mudguard-2016021/

mudguard is the best for front suspension. Will this fit and work on my cycle?

I want full maximum coverage. I also need a rear one.
I don't want people behind me getting sprayed.

I want a pannier rack. Don't know where to start. Some have spring mechanisms, others don't. Don't know anything about cycles really.

I need bike lights.

I need a way to transport bulky items like a large bucket for example.

I need to transport groceries. I buy big items sometimes like the biggest bag of pasta that's like 5kg or something. So it needs to be able to transport bigger grocery loads not little ones that's like a days worth of food.

Need somewhere to store my locks. I have a d lock kryptonite std gold secure, and I'm planning on buying a cable lock maybe. Both tyre's come as standard with quick release.
Is it worth buying hexlox magnetic ones? They cost about £100.

My bike is worth £400. Well that's how much I paid for it in June this year.

Or should I get a chain lock or a cable lock instead to secure the front wheel?

I need a kick stand.

Waterproof case for my phone that will still let me operate it normally and a way to mount it to the handlebars.

Puncture repair kit and or spare inner tubes.

Water bottles.

Helmet.

Waterproof clothing.

Maybe a front detachable basket?

Collared comfy ergonomic grips so they don't rotate, as the ones that come as standard rotate while cycling, causing tendinitus in my wrists for 3+ months.

A decent bell. The one that comes as standard is garbage.

Cleaning kit. Lube. What needs lubricating on a bike other than the chain?

Thanks

Just return to Halfords and they can sort you out with all this no problem.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's quite a list. I suggest you check out YouTube for recommendations.
Security is your No1 priority so a top level U lock will be required. Is the bike insured and what does the company specify?
Wish you luck with the bucket.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Hi

It's great that you are thinking about security, safety, cleanliness, maintenance and fixing flat tyres; that's quite a list.

Personally I'd not go for that mudguard. As @Kingfisher101 suggests I'd ask halfords or a local bike shop to put on full mudguards and sell you a decent lock.

Then watch some videos of puncture repairs and practice this at home; do you have a cycling friend who can help and encourage you?

OP
OP
M

Milena

Hi

It's great that you are thinking about security, safety, cleanliness, maintenance and fixing flat tyres; that's quite a list.

Personally I'd not go for that mudguard. As @Kingfisher101 suggests I'd ask halfords or a local bike shop to put on full mudguards and sell you a decent lock.

Then watch some videos of puncture repairs and practice this at home; do you have a cycling friend who can help and encourage you?

Why not that mudguard?

I already have a d lock as I wrote. Please reread that part of the post and see the questions I asked relating to security, such as hexlock etc.

I don't have a cycling friend.

I can get 9 percent student discount at halfords, but most of what they sell isn't the best right? And it's somewhat limited as to what they sell?

Thanks

OP
OP
M

Milena

That's quite a list. I suggest you check out YouTube for recommendations.
Security is your No1 priority so a top level U lock will be required. Is the bike insured and what does the company specify?
Wish you luck with the bucket.

I have a d lock. That's what you meant by u lock yes? Please review my op again.

I won't insure the bike. Too expensive. Why luck with the bucket?! Why not Tell me how I can transport a 42 litre flexible bucket?!

Emanresu

Budget?

I tend to go for expensive accessories with a good brand name such as Ortleib. They last longer and when you have no more need for them, you can sell them on Ebay. You could also keep your eye on good accessories on Ebay. There are a lot of ETC accessories available from the demise of Moore and Large.

Security? Never had a problem in Canterbury. You could go for the top of the range Litelok X3 Diamond standard at £250 but a simpler/cheaper one is just as good especially if there are two of them. You won't stop a determined thief but you can encourage them to look at simpler choices.

For ergonomic accessories, try Ergon. They have a lot of information on the subject on their site plus trying selling you products.

Panniers? Do you need a front rack as well as a rear one? Halfords are a good place to take notes of what you might like even if you don't end up buying there. Or talk to your LBS (local bike shop)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like he has a good lock already. I’d get cheap security skewers if concerned about heels but with a D lock through the back and a cable through front, should be ok unless leaving all day in a very low traffic area (which it doesn’t read like).
Carrera crossfire has a suspension fork which will limit mudguard options so as above, ask Halfords or LBS (can’t see a front working, can’t see a need for shopping, just get massive shops delivered if needed).
Tortec or Topeak rack good, but choose panniers first and then the rack to suit. Don't need a spring but check it has somewhere to attach the panniers at the bottom if needed.
Personally, I wouldn’t attach phone to handlebars due to vibrations and risk of detachment and use a dedicated device but each to their own.
I wouldn’t bother with a kickstand either, just lean it against something or even lie it down.
Maybe try these guys for bits and bobs
https://www.herbertscycles.co.uk/

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry yes, I meant a D lock.
By bucket I had this image in my head of:

download.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Milena

Sounds like she has a good lock already. I’d get cheap security skewers if concerned about heels but with a D lock through the back and a cable through front, should be ok unless leaving all day in a very low traffic area (which it doesn’t read like).
Carrera crossfire has a suspension fork which will limit mudguard options so as above, ask Halfords or LBS (can’t see a front working, can’t see a need for shopping, just get massive shops delivered if needed).
Tortec or Topeak rack good, but choose panniers first and then the rack to suit. Don't need a spring but check it has somewhere to attach the panniers at the bottom if needed.
Personally, I wouldn’t attach phone to handlebars due to vibrations and risk of detachment and use a dedicated device but each to their own.
I wouldn’t bother with a kickstand either, just lean it against something or even lie it down.
Maybe try these guys for bits and bobs
https://www.herbertscycles.co.uk/

You don't see a need for shopping. I do. I want to shop at the supermarket for groceries. Lots. Like 20kg of shopping. Walking with it takes too long. Don't have a car. Don't wanna pay for delivery... I have a bike and 2 legs.

I'm also not a female. I'm a male. Milena is a video game character.

Kickstand will be very useful for me. For stopping to take photos, not having to carefully place my bike on the driveway when I remove or put back my cycle from the garage, etc.

What's a rack? What's panniers? Why choose panniers first?

So I shouldn't invest in the HEXLOCKS for wheel security?
They're the magnetic ones and as I said before cost £100 for both wheels and seatpost.

Did some research about vibrations and phones on cycles. You're right. It'll damage it. Thanks. I'll just make do with the phone in my pocket and maybe a waterproof cover for it. But then it might overheat and explode in my pocket.... Waterproof case + pocket = HOT?

I asked halfords and the guy was useles. When I go back to the lbs to pickup my bike.. It's got a flat rear tire and needs a wash, I'll ask him for mudguards.

vickster

Legendary Member
You don't see a need for shopping. I do. I want to shop at the supermarket for groceries. Lots. Like 20kg of shopping. Walking with it takes too long. Don't have a car. Don't wanna pay for delivery... I have a bike and 2 legs.

I'm also not a female. I'm a male. Milena is a video game character.

Kickstand will be very useful for me. For stopping to take photos, not having to carefully place my bike on the driveway when I remove or put back my cycle from the garage, etc.

So I shouldn't invest in the HEXLOCKS for wheel security?
They're the magnetic ones and as I said before cost £100 for both wheels and seatpost.

Did some research about vibrations and phones on cycles. You're right. It'll damage it. Thanks. I'll just make do with the phone in my pocket and maybe a waterproof cover for it. But then it might overheat and explode in my pocket.... Waterproof case + pocket = HOT?

I asked halfords and the guy was useles. When I go back to the lbs to pickup my bike.. It's got a flat rear tire and needs a wash, I'll ask him for mudguards.

Get a seat or rack pack and put your phone in it.
Panniers are what you put your shopping in and you put them on a pannier rack (aka rack for short) attached to the bike (you said you want a pannier rack in your op :scratch: )
You’ll want big pannier bags, so choose those first and then get a compatible rack.

I do shop with my bike, but live alone so do several small shops a week, mostly fresh food, I rarely buy in bulk, nowhere to store

My bad…I’m female and 9 times out of 10 or probably 99/100…blokes on this forum assume I’m male. I know nothing whatsoever about video games…ok I’ve heard of Sonic the hedgehog :biggrin:
Is Milena male like Sonic?

Last edited:

Dadam

Kickstand is not necessary but it is bloody useful, especially when loading panniers. I don’t have one on the road bike but I do on the others. I think the ones that attach to the chain stay near the rear wheel are better for heavy shopping not overbalancing your bike when loading a rack, as they are nearer the balance point.

20kg of shopping should be separated between two bags to avoid messing up the bike balance, so you need a pair. If it’s just shopping you’re carrying then inexpensive waterproof pannier bags that are suitable for the rack. Cheaper ones may have separate waterproof covers, which would be fine but more of a faff to put on. Racks have different frame thicknesses and not all panniers’ clips work well with all racks, hence the advice to choose bags first.

Depending on where you do your shopping and how long you leave the bike you may be ok with just the d lock, or supplemented with a cable lock. So half an hour in Sunday morning locked to a rack outside a suburban supermarket in a nice area is one thing. Several hours at night in a city centre is another. High risk profile = forget cable locks. It takes less time to cut them with pocket sized cable cutters than you would unlocking them.

There are alternatives to the hexlocks for securing wheels though. Have a read of this https://thebestbikelock.com/wheel-locks-and-seat-locks/

......20kg of shopping. ......

For 20kg I'd recommend investing in a little luggage scale, I shop and put everything in a bag as I shop and weigh it, I also tend to buy 2 of whatever I'm getting so I can divide things equally.

Rack and panniers. A rack clips over the rear wheel and let's you attach things to it, panniers are just a posh name for bags that attach to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom