bike accessories

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
like caculating the meter you go or height you climd something like that

If you only have a budget of £50, you would have to get one second-hand, or use your phone. If using your phone, you will need a handlebar mount for it, if you want to see readings as you ride. If you only want to see the results afterwards, then it will be better in your jersey pocket.

Alex321

Veteran
is front light 200lm bright enough?

If only riding on roads with streetlights, or in daylight but dull/rainy, then yes.

If riding at night on unlit roads, then I would suggest you need at least 450lm, and ideally a bit more than that.

If riding at night off-road, then 1000lm+

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
bike computer
it depends if you need gps , you can get basic non gps devices with wheel magnet that can track your distance/mileage but obviously you cant analyse or save the data like a dedicated device.
Plenty of apps for mobile phones to act as a bike computer , the only downside is that they tend to eat battery life
a dedicated bike gps device will generally have better battery life and the higher models will have real time maps and you are able to analyse your ride via apps from the manufacturer or 3rd party apps like strava.You can pick up second hand devices but be aware some of the older models do not have bluetooth so the only way to upload is via a direct connection to a computer via USB .
Anything in the last 5 years (?) should have bluetooth to connect to your phone .
the decathlon one linked on market place is not listed as for sale anymore so be sure its ok as i doubt there would be much support if you have issues .
Helmet
as mentioned above planet x do cheap lids , i use one for commuting and its fine but unless your sure of your size then decathlon is a better bet as you can try before you buy and their returns policy is brilliant .
Lights
you need to decide whether you are on goign to be riding in the dark and whether it will be roads with street lights or unlit lanes .I cureently run 2x 600 lumen side by side and thats just about enough for unlit lanes at night but overkill for the lit roads.

D

Deleted member 128231

What’s one of those?

Cyclometers were small units that attached to a front fork and mechanically counted the number of revolutions of your wheel in order to determine distance traveled. They were enormously popular at the time but of course had none of the accuracy of today's GPS units. Mind you, they didn't rely on batteries to work.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I did, when I was in school.

By the time I bought my first adult bike (about 35 years ago), wired computers were available which would show speed as well as distance via a magnet on the spoke and sensor on the fork.

and if you really wanted to mess with someone's head, add an addtional magnet to the front wheel (yes I've done it)

Top Bottom