accident advise.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I know that that charge doesn't exist but it was just to highlight how big a muppet he is.

There is an offence of dangerous cycling! However, the likelihood of the cyclist in the video being charged with said offence is somewhere between "not a snowball's chance in hell" and "not in a million years".

The drivers did not give way to another road user who had priority. Was it wise for the cyclist to continue through the pinch point - of course not, but there is not a "defensive cycling failure" charge on the statute book.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
There is an offence of dangerous cycling! However, the likelihood of the cyclist in the video being charged with said offence is somewhere between "not a snowball's chance in hell" and "not in a million years".

The drivers did not give way to another road user who had priority. Was it wise for the cyclist to continue through the pinch point - of course not, but there is not a "defensive cycling failure" charge on the statute book.
Lets face it. The cyclist screwed up big time. I venture to argue that if there had been a collision the cyclist would be held to account.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
On what basis? Please point me in the direction of some case law that would support your theory.
I am not saying it is a given. I am simply pointing out that the cyclist could see the way was blocked but pushed through. The car should have given way but it didn't. If the bike had been a car would you have expected it to push through?

Origamist

Legendary Member
I am not saying it is a given. I am simply pointing out that the cyclist could see the way was blocked but pushed through. The car should have given way but it didn't. If the bike had been a car would you have expected it to push through?

I've already answered that upthread. I'd also add that the van driver would not have been so keen to barge through if it had been a car coming in the opposite direction as a collision would have been more likely and the consequences more serious.

Top Bottom