Accident information

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jim_Noir

Hi foks

Not posted on here for a long time, and this isn't the kind of post I wanted to come on with. I am looking for some advice.

This morning coming home from work I was rear ended by a young driver who "Sorry mate didn't see you".. oddly I have A hump cover, hig vis jacket and 3 lights on the back... that a side. The police have said that there was one witness who if they say the same as me then the guy will be done for wreak less driving.

Now I am thankfully ok just very sore and cut up, Dr at A&E said I am very lucky and that my helmet and back pack (had my running gear in it) pretty much save my life as the guy was doing over 40... bike is mangled though :sad:

Now my question is, how do I go about claiming his insurance? For the bike and the loss of earnings I'll have while I recover? I didn't get his details as I was lying in a puddle unable to move but I assume the police will supply these? I was a member of CTC until a few months back, I didn't renew as it was a bit of a nightmare to be honest trying to renew... sadly I know I can't use their service now to get them involved, and yes it was very stupid to let it lapse. So just looking for advice on what I do from here?

I have to say getting strapped to a spine board and neck brace on a Saturday morning is zero fun, as is getting every part of you x-rayed! But a thanks goes out to the motorway patrol grew (not police but a support unit) who stopped on the motorway, and jumped the fence with space blankets etc... also another works van stopped and put all their old works jackets over me as it was pretty wet and cold!

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Blimey - glad it wasn't worse.

From what I have read on here, you can join the CTC when you have an accident and still get their cover. If this is correct, having a lapsed membership should not be a problem. Phone them up and ask anyway - you've nothing to lose.

PK99

Legendary Member
Blimey - glad it wasn't worse.

From what I have read on here, you can join the CTC when you have an accident and still get their cover. If this is correct, having a lapsed membership should not be a problem. Phone them up and ask anyway - you've nothing to lose.

As i understand it not quite true; CTC will advise and put you in touch with their tame solicitor who may take the case on a no-win-no-fee basis as opposed to the fully underwritten basis for CTC members.

They are busy doing a sterling job for me following my SMIDSY last april - just back on the bkie now!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Glad you are OK. Nothing to stop you contacting either BC's or CTC's solicitors directly, as I'm sure they would act upon your behalf.

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

Thanks for the advice folks, I'll call CTC or BC on Monday for more info... it's more my bike I care about getting replaced! The guy had a check to say my back lights didn't work... well they wouldn't when they are in a 1000 bits all over the roads. The cops looked at my hump back pack cover as said "Hmmm you have allt he right gear so no idea how he didn't see you"... grrrrr

Well I have a new bike on order through cycle to work, though I didn't plan on using it to get to work but for sprotives and triathlons so least that's something. And the Mrs has been on my case all day about how she hates me cycling on the road *sigh*

I take it I should take photos of all the cuts etc, and once I get the bike back from the police photos of that? and al my gear that's ripped?

PK99 that sounds like you had a sore one, glad you are back at it now though.

Alaskan Rob

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about that, sounds very nasty... unfortunately expect the pains to get worse before they get better, probably peaking on Monday :sad:

But what you need to do while its fresh in the mind is write everything down. So:

time you left work, the route you took to get to where you were knocked off, traffic conditions, weather conditions
your road position when you were hit and in the seconds before
position of vehicles after crash
what was said by you / the driver / the police / witnesses / ambulance
what time it was / what time ambulance got there / what time you got to A&E
description of the car / of the driver / witness
then yes go back to the scene and take photos, and get photos of you / the bike / your clothes
over the next week or two keep a daily diary of your aches and pains

You need to chase up the Police to get the incident number, then give that to the solicitor you pick who will then engage with the other side. Also make sure the Police officers who attended wrote down notes, they tend to 'lose' these things / incompetence.

I had a very similar accident - in this thread https://www.cyclechat.net/

I used Alyson France, who were excellent, took 18 months for the other side to give in just before it got to court, but resolved to my satisfaction in the end.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

CHeers mate

Yeah I know I am going to be in mega pain the next few days, just had the dogs out and my legs feel the way they did after I ran my last marathon, and I know how sore they did get! But I have to say the pain killers they have given me, well lets say I should go sit in a room and listen to Pink Floyd :biggrin:

I will get to writting it all down ASAP. THe police have the bike, so I'll be calling them tomorrow to get it picked up and a number.

18 months to sort out, man that's long!

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

Anyone know about the sceince of impacts? Basicaly just uploading my past weeks edge data and todays accident I go from 13.7 MPH to 54.7MPH with a cadance of 205 then a cadence of 0 with a speed of 82mph. Now I don't think the guy was doing 82mph or I'd not be here... but any ideas how the speed would work out? or would it just be random numbers the edge was getting?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think random numbers if he hit you at 80 odd mph you would be a bit squishier than you sounded in the OP ,

Glad to hear your ok and i hope you heal well and get the twunt to pay .

Keep a record of any injuries/aches etc that come up later , might be worth getting photo evidence of everything just as a back up as the police ,depending on who is dealing with the case can be forgetful as its only "a bike"

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

Cheers mate, have to say the police did seem like they did care. But Tomorrow going to get the bike and take photos of where it happned. Send the data of to garmin to see what they say, not that it matters just intrested in the data... wondr if it's the strangest request they have had!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The guy had a check to say my back lights didn't work... well they wouldn't when they are in a 1000 bits all over the roads. The cops looked at my hump back pack cover as said "Hmmm you have allt he right gear so no idea how he didn't see you"... grrrrr

Hope you start to feel better soon. Why would anybody go to the trouble to put 3 non working lights on their bike!!! He is obviously clutching at straws ... did the police collect in the bits? Or maybe the witness say your lights just to back up your version rather than the motorist who appears to be clutching at straws.

(I take it you were on a road next to a motorway?)

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

I think the witness was a bus coming the other way, yeah the road runs alng side the motorway.

Yeah the cops picked up all the bits, from what I remember from laying there the only back light left was the one on my saddle bagthough my seat post looks bent and the light wasn't flashing but the other two couldn't survive as one was on the end of my back rack and one on the seat post looked in bits. Though the police looked at the high vis stuff in the hospital and sounded like the guys story feel apart at that point... think those hump cover light up like blackpool!

OP
OP
Jim_Noir

Jim_Noir

Police just called, guy has been charged with reckless driving. However they said the bike is a write off, the frame and seat post etc are bent... think only the forks and the handle bars are ok! They want to keep it as evidence but they said to come along to take photos of it for the insurance claim.

I hope the replacment of it is quick as I don't really want to use the new bike to cycle to work!

Police just called, guy has been charged with reckless driving. However they said the bike is a write off, the frame and seat post etc are bent... think only the forks and the handle bars are ok! They want to keep it as evidence but they said to come along to take photos of it for the insurance claim.

I hope the replacment of it is quick as I don't really want to use the new bike to cycle to work!

Jesus, I'm not surprised the bike is a right off from what you describe, even if it wasn't I wouldn't feel safe getting on it again. Hope you feel better soon and get things sorted out quickly.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

There is a positive in there then.

I was paid out for bike damage within 6 weeks - liability admitted. So bike should be sorted fast.............. your body won't be sorted out soon... be prepared to get bike replaced, but not your medical expenses / compensation - it takes a very long time.

Top Bottom