accident on Blackfriars bridge in sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great news to hear you are recovering! Good luck with the forthcoming court case. Obviously you are limited in what you can tell us now, but keep us informed of how the case progresses, and of your return to cycling.

Well done you!:smile:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member

dodgy

Fantastic to hear you're OK, well done for sticking with the cycling and I hope you continue to make a full recovery.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Good to hear you've mended and are cycling again after what sounds like a horrific incident. Go Jemah !

It's also really kind of you to search out and thank all of those forums who expressed concern and sympathy. A nice touch.

Make sure you keep us informed about your sponsored ride, as I'm sure there are a few people on here who'll want to donate and help HEMS for the sterling work they do.

Having a serious accident like this certainly makes you evaluate your priorities in life.

I was nowhere as badly injured in my accident as you were, but it put me in hospital for 3 weeks and on crutches for 6 months.

I thought I was going to be reading a RIP thread from the title from my recollection of the original report of your collision.

Mend fast, and ride your bike. The more you do now, will determine how much mobility you end up with in a few years :angry:

It made me realise that this life is not a rehersal for the next one - bad luck BTW

OP
OP
J

jemah

thank you all, i really appreciate all your support :biggrin: am working hard at the physio and am feeling stronger. will keep you updated on the big cycle ride plans.... :ohmy:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
jemah said:
thank you all, i really appreciate all your support :smile: am working hard at the physio and am feeling stronger. will keep you updated on the big cycle ride plans.... :wacko:
Hi jemah
Remember reading the original stomach churning story and glad you survived and are getting back to full strength. It's particularly heartening to hear the outcomes of those that survive such an ordeal on our roads. Thanks for seeking-us out and spreading the good news!

Cromcruaich

Brave lass. All the best to you.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Update from Jemah:

for those who don't know, i was involved in an accident with a left turning lorry on blackfriars bridge in sept 08. i was extremely lucky - everyone at the scene didn't think i'd survive it.

the driver has been charged with careless driving, but due to the defence stalling time and time again, the case is only finally going to court next month. 21 months after the accident.

the police took me to the courthouse yesterday to show me round and talk me through the process and meet the witness support team (who are brilliant and totally voluntary).

anyway, the police have been great all the way through and i have to say that i can't complain at all.

my case has been upgraded from magistrates to a district judge. yesterday they told me exactly why... the city police have never had a guilty verdict for careless driving in front of magistrates. they really want a guilty verdict, so are hoping that by putting it in front of a judge (who has a much better understanding of the law) that they will get one. my case is the first they have done this with, so it's a bit of an experiment.

if he is found guilty, he'll probably get 3 points and £60 fine.....

http://www.lfgss.com/thread43202.html

Slim

Über Member
Great to hear you're on the mend and are back on the bike.

It's also good to hear the police are taking this seriously. If the police are upgrading the case then hopefully the penalty will also be upgraded.

Anyway, if you're raising charity cash don't forget the GiftAid option on the sponsorship form. Also, try pointing your employer at The Charities Trust. My team recently did a sponsored walk in aid of a few cancer charities and hospitals that looked after a team-mate that recently passed away. With Gift Aid and employer's money-matching we bumped up the donated money considerably.

...and don't forget to post a link on this site so we can add something ourselves!!

Great to hear your on the mend Jemah. So often we hear of accidents, sadly not all have such a positive ending.

In my time in the FRS, I have been unfortunate enough to have attended two cyclist v Lorry collisions both were young lads and sadly neither survived the collision.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The case was held yesterday, from Jemah:

Guilty as charged

thought i'd start a new post as it's such good news.

the court case has been wrapped after one day instead of the expected two, and the driver was found guilty, banned for 12 months and given a £500 fine, which is amazing considering the police told me he'd probably get 3 points and a £60 fine.

http://www.lfgss.com/thread45060.html

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Jemah, sending positive thoughts for your continued recovery, and congrats on the decision to keep cycling. Please post a link when you do your sponsored ride - I'll be glad to support it.

Top Bottom