Accident procedure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
In a serious accident requiring a cyclist to be ambulanced away for treatment what happens to his bike (or her's). I have a rack pack on mine. It contains my wallet, mobile phone and a money pouch as well as my ride needs. Would the police as a matter of routine search the pack and remove valuables for safe keeping. I hate having items on my person when cycling but should I actually carry these items in my pockets rather than in the pack. (needless to say I NEVER leave them in the pack when the bike is unattended).

Perhaps some of our constabulary friends could offer their opinion.

doug

Veteran
When my better half was left-hooked by a van (who was disobeying a no left turn sign too !) a couple of years ago and taken to hospital with possible concussion and a suspected broken elbow (it was just badly bruised), the bike was taken with her to hospital in the ambulance. I don't know if this is standard procedure or not.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
When my better half was left-hooked by a van (who was disobeying a no left turn sign too !) a couple of years ago and taken to hospital with possible concussion and a suspected broken elbow (it was just badly bruised), the bike was taken with her to hospital in the ambulance. I don't know if this is standard procedure or not.
When one of the guys in my club came off his bike a while back, the bike went with him in the ambulance as well.

Brandane

Legendary Member
IF the Police have an available resource to send to the accident (and these days I doubt if that can be taken for granted) then they would arrange for your bike to be taken into safe keeping. Not sure what the ambulance service procedure is, but from the above replies it would appear that they will also remove bikes from the accident scene.

G-Zero

Über Member
If a casualty is conscious, I always ask what they want doing with their bike and have left them, on request, at nearby premises in the past. I'm sure some paramedics would allow a bike on board, but then security at the other end could be a problem, but if that's what the owner asks for ?

If not conscious, I always arrange a van to take the bike in to a local nick for security, however I can't guarantee that all colleagues (especially non cycling)would appreciate just how valuable some of our steeds could be.

On two sad occasions, I've had bikes seized for examination in fatal collisions and only much later returned to the families of the deceased :sad:

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
Thanks for the input.
G-Zero touched on my thoughts about the bike going in the ambulance. What happens to it at the hospital? Our local hospital has several wheels locked to the bike stands where the scrotes have nicked the bikes that weren't secured properly through the frames.

Anyway I think I am going to get a small bum back for my valuables. That way, where I go they go!

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyway I think I am going to get a small bum back for my valuables. That way, where I go they go!

Not always the case, speaking from personal experience on this bit.

But depending on the injury/ies they may have to remove it from you.

When my mate was taken out by a car on his way to work, the police were good enough to bring his bike to the Fire Station.

Such things do not always stay attached in an accident - more chance of them flying off into the long grass or under a car and being missed/forgotten. Also there's the double crunch factor on you and them as you land on them. Rack pack is as good as anywhere for them

We should be coming out for an injury RTC. I'm not aware of any policy per se, but we do make sure the bike is secured one way or another. If you are conscious I'd be led by you, offering to take it to your home, the police station, or the hospital, whichever you wanted. I've even been asked before to just chain it to railings at the crash site.

If you're not conscious to ask, then we'll be searching your panniers for identification, and should keep your valuables safe as a result of this. If you're not conscious we are also more likely to be worried about your condition, and thus remaining at the scene of the crash while crash investigators do their thing, then taking your bike as evidence afterwards.

One way or another it should be safe, but as I said there's no policy to guide us that I'm aware of, we just have to apply some common sense!

Top Bottom