accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
my brother decided to make a ramp up the kerb to jump the road sign on his tomohawk! kerb to place ramp on approx 4 inches high. road sign 3 feet away from ramp and approx 3 foot high

... you know where this is going don't you? :rolleyes:

(bike didn't even leave the ground)

caw

al78

Guru
Coming down Coldharbour Lane (near Dorking) on my way to the bridge club I had just encountered one of the steep bits and was freewheeling down when I saw an oncoming car which I decided to slow down for (the road is quite narrow and there are embankments either side in places). I didn't think I had applied the brakes particularly strongly but nevertheless the bike went sideways from under me and I came down hard on my right elbow. Ambulance to Epsom hospital to have my elbow stitched up. It was a challenge trying to have a shower with bandages on each arm and trying not to get them wet. The wallet got hit hard as well, about £250 to replace the forks (Birdy folder) and re-true the front wheel.

I have been nervous of that hill ever since.

Highfire

Back in 1993, when I was pregnant with my first son, a car came hurtling out of nowhere and took me clean off - I was on a designated cycle lane too!
I went over the bonnet of the car, and landed on the pavement beyond, with my legs on the road (a dual carriageway).

The ambulance was called, a scan revealed that my baby was fine, but I couldn't move for about three weeks!

Much later, when examining my helmet, there was a chunk taken out of it so I dread to think what the consequences would have been if I'd not been wearing it ......

It has only been in recent months that I've had the courage to cycle again. The nearest I've got is a couple of trips to Centre Parcs in the safety of the forest!

stevetailor125

I've had 3 accidents in my cycling lifetime up to now, I decided to start early at the age of about 5 or 6, rolling down a local hill on a solid wheeled front braked bike, you can guess the rest hit the front brake over the handle bars and 3 stitches in my chin.
Next accident was on the same hill I was about 10, doing cycling proficency test at junior school so I could ride my back there every day, I was at the bottom of the hill waiting to turn right in the correct piece of a junction when a white arrow delivery van came down the road and took the corner to sharp, hitting me off the bike and into a wall, 4 days in hospital as they thought I had damaged my kidneys and concussiion.
The last accident was when I was 25, coming down the hill on a main road I saw a car slowing to turn right across me, we made eye contact and he sat waiting patiently, now for whatever reason which even the driver couldn't answer why he waited until I was about 10 feet away and turned straight across my path. The bike was wiped out up to the saddle( I saw the wreckage later), I went over the roof, my head hitting the top of the door pillar, landed on my finger tips and knees, ended up shattering my left hand finger boones length wise, damaging my knees that badly I was in a wheelchair for 2 months and crutches for another 4months.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Came off mine coming home from night shift at 7am yesterday morning. Tried to hop onto a very low kerb in the wet and my wheels just shot from under me. Bust my helmet and lost almost all the skin from my left knee. Sore ribs too but that's about it.

crumpetman

Worst for the bike - got rear ended by a car and the rear wheel needed replacing. I was knocked off and had a couple of scrapes and bruises but healed up in a few days.

Worst for me - rear cog was so worn down that it slipped when I was standing on the pedal giving it a big push and the pedal spun round and I lost my balance and fell off. Bruised in lots of places and had to take a couple of days off riding. Still made it home after falling off though but it took my a few minutes to get off the bike as I hurt so much.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I took a trip over the handlebars riding off-road a few weeks ago - my first such excursion in over 50 years of cycling.

Sonofpear

I've had my fair share all through bmx. I'm hoping road bikes are gonna be a bit safer.
My worst was at a bmx competition. Went for a massive wall ride transfer and hooked up my front wheel and went over the bars. Broke both my wrists and my thumb and was lucky not to take my head off as I missed some metal stairs by a matter of inches. Drove 50 miles home with my friend changing gear in the car for me.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
ah the old BMX is what i used to fail on, never had a nasty fall on my MTB but the old lead filled bmx i had was a demon for gouging bits out of me.
my shins still bear the scars, i have scars on my elbows and my hands were cut more times then i care to remember but they were happy days.

a work colleague has a lovely big scar across his stomach where after dragging his BMX into a tree (ah the young and stupid) he promptly fell out with it and impaled himself on the brake lever.
and that was the SECOND time he's done that...

Top Bottom