Accidents while gardening ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Lockdown 2020, mid May.
I was on furlong, decided to tackle the well overgrown communal back garden.
I had hired a tree surgeon for the bigger jobs, but he was going to be a few weeks, so I decided to give it a start myself.
Wanting to uproot a big shrub, spade in hand, I was expecting the soil to be hard around the roots.
Put the spade in position, gave it a good wack with my left foot: the soil was soft, my knee went the opposite direction of my lower leg.
Couldn't walk without excruciating pain for half a year, one full year before I trusted myself to ride my bike.

Gillstay

Über Member
Chap was in too much of a rush to let the tree surgeon get a stump out and chop it up that he did it himself.

Glancing blow with the axe took 4 toes off. His wife was very pissed off with his stupidity.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Not me but I once read about a lady who's husband went out to cut the hedge with electric hedge trimmers. After a while she went out to see if he wanted a drink and he was dead on the ground with his throat cut. He had fallen off a ladder and the hedge trimmers hadn't cut out because they were electric and somehow his throat got cut?

Chief Broom

Veteran
Used to be a tree surgeon so have had a few near ones like having the splicing of a prussic strop coming undone when taking the top of a pine tree, only realised when i got to the ground and the strop fell apart in my hands...... Have also been catapulted 15ft in the air after foolishly cutting off a huge section of tree in one piece and receiving the resulting recoil.
As for gardening my most memorable is the following.....

Ouch...
A beautiful spring day
the Blackbirds singing sweetly
as I thrust the fork into the warming soil.

That my toe was interfaced
between tine and loam
came as quite a surprise.

I did comment to a friend
at the time
of my impaled condition.

We went to A+E
the garden remained undug
and the Robin missed his breakfast

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some years back there was a guy up my neighbours' tree with a chainsaw. He was quite an old guy but seemed to be swinging round like a monkey chainsaw in hand, lopping off huge limbs.

I later asked my neighbour who she had got to do the work. She rolled her eyes and said "That was my dad."

I later got to know dad, but he was Polish and spoke hardly any English, so our conversation was limited to "lovely day" and that was about it. My kind of guy.

Not me, but a friend was weeding without gloves and came across a 'sticky clay lump'....only it wasn't clayxx(.
He's not too keen on cats now :laugh: . Gardner's World never has this trouble.

Yeah - never see an item on Gardeners World about how best to clear dog **** off the lawn in a wet cold February when the grass is getting longer!

or how to clean the Rotary lawnmower after you realise that you missed one before mowing the lawn

unrealistic programming if you ask me!

presta

Guru
The roses account rang a bell with me. I'd heard it somewhere before. There's further discussion of the alternate stories here:

https://theconversation.com/guns-not-roses-heres-the-true-story-of-penicillins-first-patient-178463

Seems that surviving family say that he was injured in a raid.

An interesting article.

The penicillin story is full of interest, the title of Lax's book comes from Florey rubbing the mould into his coat so that if the Nazis invaded he could flee to America and continue his work there. It's shabby the way Fleming got all the credit for Florey, Chain & Heatley's work until after Florey died. There's a display in the Oxford science museum, including one of the enamel bedpans that they used to grow the cultures in.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Some years back there was a guy up my neighbours' tree with a chainsaw. He was quite an old guy but seemed to be swinging round like a monkey chainsaw in hand, lopping off huge limbs.

I later asked my neighbour who she had got to do the work. She rolled her eyes and said "That was my dad."

I later got to know dad, but he was Polish and spoke hardly any English, so our conversation was limited to "lovely day" and that was about it. My kind of guy.
It's obviously the Polish way of gardening. When he retired from the mine, my Polish grandfather (not the one with the flying teeth) got a job running a market garden for the local big house. I remember spending a day there with him and my dad digging a pit so they could use one of those two-handled crosscut saws to cut a large fallen tree into sections because he didn't have a chainsaw.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I see your many pitchfork thru the foot stories and raise with with my uncle managed to rotavate his calf muscle almost of his leg.....

luckily my Aunty spotted him out of the window and the ambulance arrived before he lost too much blood.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Yeah - never see an item on Gardeners World about how best to clear dog **** off the lawn in a wet cold February when the grass is getting longer!

or how to clean the Rotary lawnmower after you realise that you missed one before mowing the lawn

unrealistic programming if you ask me!

As a kid in the 70's, in parks there was always the smell of freshly mown grass....and dog muck :blush:

Top Bottom