Accidents while gardening ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
ON R2 there will shortly be a phone in on this subject. It made me wonder what accidents us CCrs have been involved in or know of.

I hope I am not duplicating a previous thread.

Lots of accidents reported on official stats
so I avoid it wherever possible!
Much better to leave it to itself and go for a nice safe bike ride instead!

Jody

Stubborn git
Think it was Pinbike or somewhere, but I remember seeing someone who'd been doing the lawn and got distracted, so mowed one of his feet.

Wasn't a pretty site

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Story from a former colleague. He was an IT consultant working away from home and noticed a nasty red swelling on his leg. It was more than a mere spot, and he was sufficiently concerned that he had it checked out at the local casualty department. They looked at it and asked if he'd been gardening in the previous 10 days or so. He had indeed been pruning his roses and it was a potentially serious infection from a rose thorn. He needed to stay in hospital for intravenous antibiotics. He told them he was working away so would it be OK to be booked into hospital back home in Manchester; him being in Kent or somewhere at the time. "How long will it take you to get back to Manchester?" . "About six hours". "You'll be dead in six hours". "Ah, OK. Perhaps I'd better stay here then". The drew lines on his leg to show where the redness had got to and checked hourly to see if they were winning or losing vs the originally drawn marks. He lived to tell the tale !

Another work colleague had similar and only just survived at the cost of his arm being amputated. He was likely immuno surpressed after cancer treatment. He had already lost a leg from cancer as a teenager a guy who'd had more than his share of bad luck.

A university friend's boss died of septicaemia from a splinter from building a greenhouse and another friend's mother from a gardening splinter similar to the above incidents. Both these had been in perfectly OK health as far as I know.

Anyhow I'm quite paranoid about splinters and infected minor cuts. Anecdote is not data, but two deaths and two near deaths of people I know or nearly know is pretty convincing

Beware thorns and splinters !

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm a couple of months in to a concerted effort to get on top of things. One day per week. My benchmark is; when I fill the green bin, that's enough for one day. The end is in sight.

No mishaps so far, but I did cut though my hedge trimer cable ... again ... last week.

presta

Guru
He had indeed been pruning his roses and it was a potentially serious infection from a rose thorn. He needed to stay in hospital for intravenous antibiotics.

The first ever person to be given penicillin had pricked his finger on a rose bush. A policeman in Oxfordshire, he made a miraculous recovery until they ran out of penicillin, then he relapsed and died.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plenty of minor incident's gardening, worse was dropping a 3x2 flagstone on the tip of my wedding finger, maybe 20 years ago. Still have some nerve damage ! I've picked thorns out of my legs some days after gardening (as above).

lazybloke

Considering a new username
No mishaps so far, but I did cut though my hedge trimer cable ... again ... last week.

At least three repairs of my hedge trimmer like that. Feels quite careless.

24 hrs in a&e.. there was a mower accident, pretty sure it resulted in an amputation. The guy had tripped whilst pulling the mower backwards, and pulled it over his foot. Cue close-ups.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
At least three repairs of my hedge trimmer like that. Feels quite careless.

24 hrs in a&e.. there was a mower accident, pretty sure it resulted in an amputation. The guy had tripped whilst pulling the mower backwards, and pulled it over his foot. Cue close-ups.

No chance of that with my lawnmower. I use a push mower. It's Brill.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst not accidents to the person, I have had a "cut the brambles not the telephone wire!" incident at my Dad's and the Mrs cut our own garden fairy lights instead of the ivy in our own garden

Top Bottom