Accurate Frame Weighings, what do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Is that weight including front forks ?
It can sometimes be miss leading comparing frame weights as to whether they are included or not .

I've got a rough weight of a 23 1/2" full 531ST frame @7.8 lbs, but it's still got both the brake cables and the adjuster attached to the seat tube clamp, which all need removing for an accurate result. That's with the BB and headset included like the Apollo. I'm guessing a shade over 7 lbs minus the brake bits, so about 2 1/2 lb lighter than the gas pipe, and the 531 frame is larger too. I'll weigh one of my 23 1/2" 18-23 Hi tensile Raleigh Pioneer frames as soon as I can. I'm not expecting it to be much below 10lbs with unicrown forks!

Last edited:

roley poley

Über Member
got a few salter samsons like digital fisherman scales from work as a postie they were used to weigh our bags of mail for delivery but being thrown away just asked for them before they were skipped will do 25 kgx20 g...55 lbx1\2oz...55lbx0.05 oz on a 9v

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Weighed my whole 1985 Raleigh Royal this morning, in 100% original factory condition, but with the rack and mudguards removed as I don't need them on for what I use it for. I'd previously made a guesstimate of about 27 lbs just from picking it up in one hand and comparing it to my other 23 1/2" framed bikes, but today I decided to weigh it properly now I have the scales.
I was pleasantly surprised at the numbers; it comes in at 25.64 lbs without the bottle cage fitted, and 25.84 lbs with. So much for old steel bikes being "really heavy".....

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just for comparison, I've weighed a couple more bikes when I went out for a ride this afternoon.
Astra 3-speed Roadster, 23", gas pipe, all-steel parts, 27" wheels, mudguards & rack. = 35.2 lbs.
Raleigh Pioneer, 23 1/2", 18-23 hi-tensile, 700c steel wheels , mudguards & alloy rack = 33.4 lbs.
Raleigh Royal, 23 1/2", 531DB tubes & forks, 27" alloy wheels, no mudguards or rack. = 25.8 lbs.

Some big differences there, goes to show how much the proportion of alloy components fitted affects the overall weight. Royal is 27% lighter than 3 speed, and 23 % lighter than Pioneer.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Just for comparison, I've weighed a couple more bikes when I went out for a ride this afternoon.
Astra 3-speed Roadster, 23", gas pipe, all-steel parts, 27" wheels, mudguards & rack. = 35.2 lbs.
Raleigh Pioneer, 23 1/2", 18-23 hi-tensile, 700c steel wheels , mudguards & alloy rack = 33.4 lbs.
Raleigh Royal, 23 1/2", 531DB tubes & forks, 27" alloy wheels, no mudguards or rack. = 25.8 lbs.

Some big differences there, goes to show how much the proportion of alloy components fitted affects the overall weight. Royal is 27% lighter than 3 speed, and 23 % lighter than Pioneer.
It is addictive , weighing your bikes and components and it doesn't stop there .l find myself weighing and re-packing stuff l am posting or shipping ! But hey it saves a few quid here and there

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm just curious really about which bits have the biggest influence on what the overall weight of a particular bike will come out at. Steel vs alloy wheelsets seem to be the game changers. More so than frames it appears. The fact that one of mine weighs over 35 lbs won't stop me riding it down the shops or pub. What I am probably going to be more aware of from now on is the effect on overall weight of any accessories I fit or parts I change for different ones - such as highly puncture resistant tyres.

roley poley

Über Member
Yes ,lighter alloy wheels are easier to spin up ,down ,bank over and BRAKE cut down on gyroscopic weight first

woodbutcher

Veteran
To be honest my observation is that the frame geometry in conjunction with the forks and the wheels/tyres as well as the material that frame is built out of is much more influential on the performance and ride feel than the weight of the whole bike.

Top Bottom