Accurate Frame Weighings, what do you use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
Can I just point out the difference between something 'reading' to two decimal places - and something being 'accurate' to two decimal places ;)
Of course you can , l would expect nothing less :notworthy:

woodbutcher

Veteran
I use this , accurate to two decimal places. (maybe even three dec. places ) and you can change the settings from metric to imperial if you prefer !
View attachment 498605
Chinese of course but simple to use with a nice big hook that usually fits under the saddle rim if lm weighing the whole bike .
Here you go , check it out .....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Electronic-Portable-Hanging-Luggage-50Kg-10g-Weight-Hook-Scale-Uk/182246536080?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

20200101_184628.jpg

Snap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I may not use it in any practical sense but I am curious all the same. Some of my bikes feel noticeably different to ride than others, some less so. One 531 frame in particular rides very well even on relatively skinny tyres pumped up fairly hard, and I'm interested to see if there is much correlation between the amount of steel in my frames and their perceived ride qualities, or whether geometry differences play a bigger role. I won't be binning anything just because it weighs half a pound more than something else.

Geometry, fork rake, tyre quality. Weight will be a small factor - you'll need something fairly accurate as the various 531 and 501 frames won't be hugely different. It's available on-line for a 'bare' tube set, but you'll have differences with lug and BB weights. All fairly close.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
PS Have fun. There isn't much weight difference between my 653 Ultegra and SLX Dura Ace, but I don't know how much (1/2 kg). Both fairly close to 9kg - 9.5kgs.

None of mine are in that single-digit kg league. My lightest one, a 531 Dawes is about 24 lbs, probably more like 25 now it's got 28c Marathon tyres on it. What you regard as light or heavy depends on where you started out from. The 23" frame gas pipe steel 3-speed I started riding to work on when I was too young to drive, weighs about 35-36lbs. Therefore, to me, anything sub-30 lbs in rideable road-going condition is what I regard as a lightweight bike.

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
I've taken a punt on the scales highlighted by @woodbutcher and @DCBassman as they'll cover the range of weight I need and all I've got to lose is the price of two pints of Ruddles in 'spoons. I can do a calibration check by weighing a set of engine pistons that were previously individually weighed on a set of electronic scales with an accuracy of +/- 1 gram.
Ooooh pressure is on us then DC bassman ^_^

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My Chinese luggage scales arrived yesterday, and the TV remote control was duly robbed for it's AAA batteries to try it out. Accuracy is plenty good enough for what I need it for and it's been tried out on several light and heavy items. Just to set a benchmark for more frame weighings, I tried it first on a gas pipe Apollo hybrid frame I got as a parts donor.......

Hi-tensile, welded construction, 700c wheel, size 21". Weight of frame, forks, square taper BB and headset = 9.6lbs.

woodbutcher

Veteran
My Chinese luggage scales arrived yesterday, and the TV remote control was duly robbed for it's AAA batteries to try it out. Accuracy is plenty good enough for what I need it for and it's been tried out on several light and heavy items. Just to set a benchmark for more frame weighings, I tried it first on a gas pipe Apollo hybrid frame I got as a parts donor.......

Hi-tensile, welded construction, 700c wheel, size 21". Weight of frame, forks, square taper BB and headset = 9.6lbs.
Did you try them with your engine pistons ?

Bare frame weight is a good guide to tubing quality and useful for exposing fakes. That "Hobbs" I was sold on eBay had a bare frame weight of over 5 1/2 lb, which is gaspipe. Even plain gauge 531, main tubes only, is only a touch over 5lb in that size.
Is that weight including front forks ?
It can sometimes be miss leading comparing frame weights as to whether they are included or not .

Top Bottom