Acera 8spd RD and compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sup team

I have a 'worn' Acera 8 spd RD. I have done my best to strip clean lube where needed and removed jockey wheels and re greased the sleeve bearing things. I have a new chain and cassette but the chain is not sitting comfortable on the bottom jockey wheel. It is slipping off to the side a bit - mainly in lower gears. I suspect the wheel teeth are worn and have a few road RD's lying around but nothing of hybrid heritage :smile:

Is there any particular reason I can't substitute the Acera 8 speed RD for say a 10 spd road RD? To my mind the RD unit is 'dumb' and the intelligence is in the shifters - matched to the cassette spacing? Perhaps crucially, I am thinking of using a Tiagra RD and happen to know the pull ratio on the shifters / cassette spacing is different to other RD's, e.g. 105/Ultegra, but in this instance that wouldn't matter or would it?

I could potentially just put in a new jockey wheel from one of the spare RD's but this would be of typical sizing not like the humongous bad boy that the Acera RD is fitted with - I am guessing that wouldn't work very well...

TIA,
SD

I'd just source the correct jockey wheels and carry on with the Acera, it will probably outlive you!

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Yebbut, it's on a shoe-string budget innit. The bike cost me ten english pounds and looking to keep costs down! Maybe you're right though, should probably cough up for a second hand 8spd rear mech...

C R

Guru
Yebbut, it's on a shoe-string budget innit. The bike cost me ten english pounds and looking to keep costs down! Maybe you're right though, should probably cough up for a second hand 8spd rear mech...

The pull ratio of a 10 speed derailleur will be wrong for an 8 speed indexed shifter. Your best bet would be trying to see if you can use the jokey wheel of the 10 speed in the 8 speed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think, but happy to be corrected, that as 10spd Tiagra has same pull ratios as 11 speed road, the RD is expecting a different pull ratio, so it wont work.

8 & 9 speed shimano road and MTB kit is all interchangeable but you've waggled over the edge of compatibility with 10 spd Tiagra, as it has 11 speed pull ratio's.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Well... this is all very inconvenient, I must say. Back to ordering bits online again... thought this project would have been done by now :rolleyes:

Thanks for the guidance.

edit: BTW I got it wrong it's an Altus RD and I have found one on eBay might as well just get a new unit as the current one is pretty shabby.

presta

Guru
My bike came with an 8 speed Acera, but it didn't last long, within 11,000 miles the parallelogram was so worn it was self-changing. Since 8&9 speed are the same pull ratio, I replaced it with a 9 speed Deore.

Well... this is all very inconvenient, I must say. Back to ordering bits online again... thought this project would have been done by now :rolleyes:

Thanks for the guidance.

edit: BTW I got it wrong it's an Altus RD and I have found one on eBay might as well just get a new unit as the current one is pretty shabby.
Better yet, Altus RDs sre nukeproof. A new one now (RD-M310 or 410) will both do 8 and 9 speed.

Top Bottom