ACH "The Way to the Sea" 200 from Greenwich 3/7/2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Pent up demand as well. Reminds me I have a 300 to organise. Originally that was going to be July. But looks like I have a wedding to go to now. So will likely move it to August.
I'm happy too ride 'unofficially' so as not to deny a proper Audaxer a space (or be put on a reserves list). Am not interested in points or brevets, just nice rides, good company and beer....

Tribansman

Veteran
Yep, that's going to be my approach too. Although may abandon all but really long (1000km+) audaxes all together.

The routes used are usually great, but got pretty used to riding on my own and find having to do the controls a faff on shorter audaxes.

If every audax allowed verification by gpx file I'd probably do more

OP
OP
adamski

adamski

Guru
I thought I'd set this thread up so I'd get emails if there were replies. Clearly not! Sorry.

https://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/young.adamski+gpxeditor@gmail.com/The-Way-to-the-Sea

That's the route☝️
The approach to Strood has to be what it is because there's limited choice. But it at least avoids the main roads by jumping onto cyclepaths where needed.

We're full for this year with nine groups set to depart Greenwich between 0740 and 0900. Let's see how this goes before I decide what I'll do for next year.

Saying that there's already a few tweaks I'd like to make to the route for next time, for example changing the Meopham control to an info around Nurstead would avoid a bit of the B260. And would be nice to have a village hall aroun Vigo Village / West Kingsdown as another sit down control, in addition to a catered control at Minister on Sea. There's not a lot that can be done around the Rochester section if the route is to visit Hoo, Isle of Grain and Isle of Sheppey. Plus there's something nice about getting to within 6 km of the next control only to have a 50 km ride around the Medway to do 😂

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
rstead would avoid a bit of the B260
Nowt wrong with the B260. I did that road with you on the way back from Whitstable FNR once.
Nice, long downhill with pretty good sightlines. Not a busy road except at school run times. Its also used on the Oasts & Coasts

OP
OP
adamski

adamski

Guru
Indeed, but for The Way to the Sea it's out to Meopham and that means riding up the B260 and riders are on it for a bit longer, tho it's still not too bad. It's just I could include a few lanes (and some bonus gravel :okay: https://goo.gl/maps/wGaQdr6VSrhDDqJM8) at no extra distance. (I only discovered this when riding out that way and works taking place on the railway bridge had totally closed the road.)

OP
OP
adamski

adamski

Guru
PS: I am predicting a few DNS emails so people can watch the kickball on Saturday.
If anyone wants adding to a stand-by list let me know.

OP
OP
adamski

adamski

Guru
I've had emails from some people who now cannot ride, which is great and it's meant I've been able to add others who hadn't originally got onto the event.

The ride is now full :thumbsup:. Hopefully no one else drops out because I won't have time to add anyone else to the start list.

Top Bottom