Achillies tendonitis

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, generally unfit 55 yaer old, overweight. Did a bit of walking in the summer (not excessive, just discovered geocaching with my little girl so had a week driving/walking off 2 weeks then another week driving/walking). During this time has a slight pain in left heel, enough to make me limp on occasions but not really that bad. Last Thursday we did our longest walk (6 miles) and I felt fine...however, come Saturday the pain in my left heel became much worse, so much so that had to go to GP yesterday as was struggling to put any weight on it. She diagnosed achillies tendonitis and sent me on my way with some exercises and told to take paracetamol and co-codomol for the pain. The more I have looked at it I'm not sure she is right - I dont feel any pain in the tendon at all, its all around the middle/bottom of my heel and its getting worse, spent today crawling around the house as its literally too painful to put any weight on at all - the pain is there whether I move my foot or not. Scrunching toes upwards does increase the pain, which obviously involves the tendon, but reading about it on the net (I know) it really seems to apply more for those people where the achillies hurts after exercise - I cannot even stand up, let alone exercise at the minute! Which also goes back to how to improve, she gave me a list of exercises from easy to hard - I am nowhere able to start the easy one (put affected leg behind me with heel on the floor) as its too painful.

It also seems to be brought on by overuse - I'm not sure a couple of walks in the summer followed by a 6 mile one would be considered overuse?

Anyone any experience of this?

Many thanks

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Is it worse first thing in the morning when you get out of bed? Could be plantar fasciitis?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have had very similar symptoms.

GP diagnosed Plantar Fasciitis (over telephone, no actual examination).

Having researched on NHS website, I think it is probably Achilles Tendonitis.

This has been going on for 2-3 months. The initial heel pad pain has gradually morphed into pain in the achilles Tendon area.

I have given up with pain killers, now resorted to exercises I found on NHS website, whilst I wait patiently (not) for an appointment with a podiatrist.

Good luck

OP
OP
iancity

iancity

Veteran

PK99

Legendary Member
I had what sound like the same symptoms. GP sent me for blood tests and x-ray for "Acute non traumatic achilles tendonitis".

Turned out to be gout!

Top Bottom