Aching feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roba182

Just started to get back into cycling but all along the outside of my soles really ache just after a few miles. I’m using SPDs. Not sure if it’s my shoes (relatively cheap ones) cleat position or just the way I’m cycling! Any advice would be appreciated

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I have long feet and at first tended to set my foot too far forward on the pedal. This was to avoid fouling the chain stays or even the rear-wheel quick-release lever with my heels. Setting my shoes to put the ball of the foot over the pedal spindle moved the foot back a bit which, counter-intuitively, solved the chain-stay problem. The quick release lever problem was solved by closing it to the rear. With the foot too far forward, I also suffered aching arches on occasion but with the foot correctly placed the problem was largely solved.

BigMeatball

Just started to get back into cycling but all along the outside of my soles really ache just after a few miles. I’m using SPDs. Not sure if it’s my shoes (relatively cheap ones) cleat position or just the way I’m cycling! Any advice would be appreciated

I'm having the same problem. I recently started to use SPDs and the outside of my soles started to ache after 10-15km, then the pain went away for a while, to then return 60km in until the end of my ride.

After doing some internet research, I've been playing around with cleats position and will keep doing so until the pain disappears completely. Try and move your cleats not only forward/backwards but also inwards/outwards until you find the right position. Also slight changes to saddle height might be worth trying (nothing major, just half inch up or down from the 'ideal' height).

byegad

Legendary Member
After constant foot pain issues with SPDs over 18 months, I changed to Crank Brother, and some 15 pain free years later am very happy with both Mallats and Candy pedals. I would never go back to SPDs. I think the issue is that the SPD arrangement puts all the weight onto the cleat, whereas Crank Bros allow the pedal platform to take the weight while the central eggbeater merely retains the cleat.

Jody

Stubborn git
Obvious question but are your shoes done up too tightly? I sometimes get aches and pains on the outside of my foot which is usually alleviated by loosening the ratchets off by a couple of clicks

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Cycling shoes are notoriously small/narrow compared to most shoes. Before you mess with your cleat position try loose shoes and thin socks.

Top Bottom